Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has cat bypass pipes ? Noise ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 09:38 AM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who has cat bypass pipes ? Noise ?

OK so who has cat bypasses ? Like Fabspeed's or Steve Weiner's, or home made ? I'm asking with regard to the noise. I have Muffler Bypasses now and I'd essentially have straight pipes with the addition of the cat bypasses. I run the car on the track but a little street driving to the beach and maybe a dinner date or 2. I love the muffler bypasses. I was behind a turbo 3.6 this weekend that was running no cat and the flames were awesome on decel. I need this : )
However if the noise is obnoxious then I'd go with high flow cats I guess.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:26 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK. My FVD cat bypasses plus TechEFX type muffler is VERY nice. Growly and angry but no drone.

Cat bypasses + muffler bypasses is LOUD and the drone at cruising speeds will make your head explode, like in the movie "Scanners". I will change up a gear rather than listen to 3000 rpm. I put 'em on when I go to the track, and by the time I get home, I remember why I took 'em off in the first place. I can't get flames out the back anyway.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:32 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Very good information thank you. So then here is the debate. High Flow cats plus bypass mufflers OR High flow mufflers plus cat bypasses ? I like the mufflers bypass option myself. The weight reduction is the benefit I think. I have 57k on the OEM cats. I think I need to get rid of those or at least replace them with new unclogged ones.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:37 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

IMNSHO My car sounds better than the guys with high flow cats and Muff bypasses. (It's a deeper growl.) I think (hope) the cat bypasses allow my K-24 hybrids to spool a little faster.
Too bad you're 3000 miles away or you could hear all the combinations out here on any given 4th Sunday in Calabasas.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:51 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Andy,

Scott and I live nearby, often have our cars together, but somehow... never really did a comparo. I have the Ruf race cats and the fabspeed bypasses. This combo sounds great (to my rusty ears), is smog legal, saves some weight, removes some backpresure, and allows better air flow to cool the turbos. On the other side... I think the cat bypasses actually can remove more back pressure than my setup, but I'm not sure about that. It may be time for you to make a road trip to So Cal and listen/drive for yourself!
Old 04-12-2006, 12:55 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Scott Bradford was behind us both recently, and said mine was louder.
Steve's car has some kind of micky-mouse cams that change the sound too
Old 04-12-2006, 02:06 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Haha you guys are funny. OK I'll load up the trailer and be out there in a few days : ) No really thanks for the info. My friend / tech advisor has a 993 RSR converted to a GT2 so I am going to see him for a real life sound demo. He is running straight dump pipes right off the turbos out the back. They are the GT2 evo parts. FVD can get these by the way but they are 800 a pop !!

Quick Reply: Who has cat bypass pipes ? Noise ?