993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993GT2 EVO sequential gearbox (pics)

Old 03-15-2006, 07:22 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See you guys there then. I'll skip work.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:21 AM
Jannis
Advanced

awsome!!!!!

Originally Posted by Jean
This is probably the ugliest and most expensive upgrade one can make to our 993TTs.

I have just acquired this one-off 993GT2 EVO gearbox built specifically for the Franz Konrad GT2 Le Mans racer. What is special about this gearbox other than the sequential mechanism is that all the internals have been custom made by Ricardo the F1 gearbox builder (and Veyron) for this particular high torque, endurance race car. The internals are described as undestructible, and are very far off from the typical billet upgrades.

I still don't have all the details of the gear ratios since the team is running the Bahrain Supercup race as I type this literally, but I know it has taller 1-2nd. gears (Yum!!) and it reaches a top speed of 165mph or so, which coincidentally, will be my top speed at the end of the straight therefore maximizing the gearbox potential.

It is being shipped from Germany to Bahrain as we speak, and will be installed in my car by the end of this week hopefully if nothing unforeseen happens.

It is missing the cooler in the pictures, but has all the internal setup ready and the openings on the box for fitting the cooler, which will be done at a later stage.
I will test it and let you guys know how it performs.

Now, anyone out there knows how to drive a sequential gearbox? How the heck do you blip the throttle?
Old 03-20-2006, 09:58 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Well? We're looking for updates Jean. Hope everything is going OK....
Old 03-20-2006, 01:06 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Well, I am afraid I don't have great news, the technicians were not able to fit the gearbox on my car in time for the shootout. After resolving many of the obstacles, ordering by DHL some missing parts etc.. we had it all worked out, only to find out at the last minute that the flanges for the driveshafts are obviously the racing ones, which are bigger than stock...This is the one I am talking about.

Somehow this slipped my mind although I knew I would need the larger racing axles.. This is something that cannot be ordered and delivered in 2 days from Germany, so I had to drop the idea all together and will be going to the track with stock gearbox.
The two issues I am facing is that I have a stock differential and therefore keeping the car on the track coming out of turns is a real nightmare, and the second is that I will need to launch the car very carefully in the quartermile race since I don't want to damage my stock mainshaft and break axles..

Here are some pictures of the gearbox and other hardware. I have no idea what sort of clutch this is, but it is small, and the pressure plate is very small as well. LWF obviously. Konrad promised that this clutch can be driven on the street as well.

Viperbob, thanks so much for getting the Pagids delivered in record time. It only took one PM to Bob and he went out of his way to make sure I got my Pagids 2 days later, delivered in Bahrain. I have not even paid him yet. You are amazing, thanks so much.
The following users liked this post:
ANDRE GEMINI (09-17-2022)
Old 03-20-2006, 04:33 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

I'm sorry about the gearbox not going on the car. I know that you had your heart set out for it to be installed for the upcoming Speed Trip event.

On the drag racing part of the competition, trust me, you won't be the only one with launch problems.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:05 PM
sonny1
Banned

Jane,
Did you try using your stock flanges? If your flanges are bigger, then you'll need bigger axle joints too, just a thought, salud! Sonny.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:37 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Bummer about the trans Jean. Glad though that you got the pads. Too bad you didn't know last week or I could have sent over a couple of axles.....
Old 03-21-2006, 07:30 AM
Gelatomonster
Instructor

Jean,

Waaauuuw. Please continue sharing your fun.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:31 AM
Woodster
Drifting

O.T.
I know you are not a board sponsor, but you helped me
with incredible knowledge and info on my prior car!! (and Parts!)
What is your current occupation?
do you have a shop? What parts can I get from you, ect.?
thanks!
Marty K
Old 03-21-2006, 11:31 AM
Woodster
Drifting

My above post was to Viper Bob
Old 03-21-2006, 08:16 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

I sent you an email Marty...
Old 01-29-2017, 01:29 AM
hms08
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ricardo Box

Originally Posted by Jean
This is probably the ugliest and most expensive upgrade one can make to our 993TTs.

I have just acquired this one-off 993GT2 EVO gearbox built specifically for the Franz Konrad GT2 Le Mans racer. What is special about this gearbox other than the sequential mechanism is that all the internals have been custom made by Ricardo the F1 gearbox builder (and Veyron) for this particular high torque, endurance race car. The internals are described as undestructible, and are very far off from the typical billet upgrades.

I still don't have all the details of the gear ratios since the team is running the Bahrain Supercup race as I type this literally, but I know it has taller 1-2nd. gears (Yum!!) and it reaches a top speed of 165mph or so, which coincidentally, will be my top speed at the end of the straight therefore maximizing the gearbox potential.
Hi , How did you go with your Ricardo sequential? I run one in a 996 turbo.
It is being shipped from Germany to Bahrain as we speak, and will be installed in my car by the end of this week hopefully if nothing unforeseen happens.

It is missing the cooler in the pictures, but has all the internal setup ready and the openings on the box for fitting the cooler, which will be done at a later stage.
I will test it and let you guys know how it performs.

Now, anyone out there knows how to drive a sequential gearbox? How the heck do you blip the throttle?
Hi , How did you go with the Ricardo sequential?
I have one in a 996 Turbo.
Old 09-17-2022, 08:44 AM
ANDRE GEMINI
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ricardo box...but not.!!!

Well, well, well Chaps.! I am the man that designed and manufactured this box.! My name is
ANDRE VERWEY, the MD of GEMINI TRANSMISSIONS, then and now. We still manufacture
transmissions and parts and can still produce most of the bits in that box.!!! We also produce
some other variants, I.E. a 5 speed dog box fitted to a 915 casing. See the FB page for
Gemini Transmisssions, there are some pics.
I just don't get why you call it Ugly. It fits a standard G50 front case and without mods into
the car. It certainly proved very reliable and with some upgraded bits, it is just wonderfull.!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by ANDRE GEMINI:
Basal Skull (09-19-2022), Kein_Ersatz (09-19-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 07:20 PM
racer959
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 154 Posts

Can you show us a video on how it shifts?
Old 09-22-2022, 10:45 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by ANDRE GEMINI
Well, well, well Chaps.! I am the man that designed and manufactured this box.! My name is
ANDRE VERWEY, the MD of GEMINI TRANSMISSIONS, then and now. We still manufacture
transmissions and parts and can still produce most of the bits in that box.!!! We also produce
some other variants, I.E. a 5 speed dog box fitted to a 915 casing. See the FB page for
Gemini Transmisssions, there are some pics.
I just don't get why you call it Ugly. It fits a standard G50 front case and without mods into
the car. It certainly proved very reliable and with some upgraded bits, it is just wonderfull.!!!
I was wondering why this ancient thread was bumped, and now I see. Welcome to Rennlist, Andre.

regards,

Matt Monson
Guard Transmission Llc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 993GT2 EVO sequential gearbox (pics)