Sponsored by:

Should I upgrade ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 06:57 AM
DJB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I upgrade ?

After a couple of months of owning the Cayenne Turbo I cant extract the wife from driving it - fantastic. She still likes to drive her CLK 430 Cab on nice days - but effectively we now have too many cars. The wife will consider the addition of a 997 Porsche Cab, but only on the basis that one of my other two cars (993TT or 86 911 Cab) and her merc are sold.

Realistically it has to be the Turbo thats sold alongside the Merc - I couldn't justify the investment. But moving out of the 993T into a 997 cab will I be generally satisfied?

Of course in the back of my mind is the fact that I can do a few mods on the CTT to get that turbo rush...

But the 993TT was my boyhood dream car - yes I love it - but at the moment due to work commitments - I just cant drive it enough.

How have some of you coped with selling your 993TT and what did you replace it with - how many regret the sale?

Thanks for your help
Old 03-02-2006, 11:26 AM
tlark
Drifting

I currently own one, and face some similar problems with driving time. With kids baseball games/tourneys and a lakehouse/boat for this summer I can see issues not being able to use it as much as I wanted and with new found track pleasures, damaging the car is somewhat of a concern. I have not made the choice to sell yet for a more dedicated track car (GT3) which is what I would do but the thought of doing so pains me real bad.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:00 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though I live in Sunny California, there probably are very few of us who drive their cars as much as we would want to (darn work gets in the way). On weekends I am shuffling the kids around or running errands which are not suitable for TT use. I have thought of selling the car as well, however, it is so sweet when you do drive it that the thought of not having that opportunity is way to painful to bear.

I have spent the money already and am content to have the car available when I can sneak away. I told my son he can drive the car when I am dead, so I guess I have to keep it!

At least it keeps the miles down and value up!
Old 03-02-2006, 06:40 PM
Peter S 993tt
Racer

I will never sell mine - Per my will - it will go to my son after my demise. This is the last of the true 911's that can never be replicated. Everyone who has a 996 and 997 I've talked to who had a 993 (tt or normally aspirated) regrets selling.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:50 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 204 Posts

DJB,

I can empathise with your situation. I dont have as many nice cars as you do but still - with yet another purchse looming - it has also come to my attention that I may need to sell the TT.

I dont want to BUT I work 8 minutes from home and cant even drive it to work. I have to admit tho - the feeling of just having it there is a good one and I'm sure I would be most upset if I sold it.....

Saying that the $$$$ you will get for it (especially in AU) are a REAL plus.... I just heard of one that was sold for $180k private sale..... And dealers CANT get em - at all.

So - i would say DONT sell - But if you do - and want to sell the CG exhausts.... let me know!

All the best
Simon
Old 03-06-2006, 12:04 AM
morganb
Instructor

Simon,

Redbook quotes about A$ 111K for a 97 turbo. 180K is a great price. Any details?
Old 03-06-2006, 07:50 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 204 Posts

Morgan,

There are NONE available and if there were - especially at $111K AND for a 97 model - I will take 5!!!!

There arent that many 97 models here and the only ones that hang around for sale are the unpopular colours. The one that sold for $180K was Blk/blk with 47K and books. Was a MY97 but Oct 96 build and was sold to the first guy that looked at it for the asking price.

Redbook - yeah right!

Simon
Old 03-08-2006, 08:02 AM
DJB
Instructor

Thanks Guys,

Its tough and I am not making any progress on a descision. My car is Midnight Blue with a midnight blue interior. Its got 38K and is like new. I was recently offered similar money to what Simon suggests. I dont want to sell but who ever does?
Old 03-09-2006, 12:20 AM
msw
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 16 Posts

David,

First off I don't know if that is an "upgrade."

Sorry you are not able to drive it as you would like...I have been driving mine everyday since I bought it in 98 and now have 169K miles :-)
Old 03-09-2006, 01:02 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter S 993tt
Everyone who has a 996 and 997 I've talked to who had a 993 (tt or normally aspirated) regrets selling.
I run into alot of people who have gone from 993TT to 996TT and love it. Haven't seen too may people go from a TT to a NA car and be happy though.

Let me ask the obvious question. If you are buying a 997 cab, why would you hold on to an '86 cab instead of the TT?

Quick Reply: Should I upgrade ?