Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 06:20 AM
Kevin Ross
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The last Gremlin?

Hi Everyone

Yep, smee - the guy with all the gremlins in one car! Not that this phases me anymore frankly - I figure that eventually I'll have a brand new car

Anyway! Over the last couple of days there has been a big puff of smoke from my left hand side exhaust on start up. Once the car is warm and running there is no smoke. If the car stands for a little while - no smoke. But if it stands overnight then there is smoke again.

I went for a long run (60km) yesterday though, with cruise control on at 100km/h. Just to prove I was not speeding my liters per hundred kilometers was 9.6!!

This morning - no smoke!

Just some background - the engine has been rebuilt as you all know. And the Right Side Turbo has been rebuilt. The left turbo has not. Could this now be the culprit?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-13-2006, 09:28 AM
Camber
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kevin:

I assume you've read the posts on oil filters and smoking on start up. Your symptoms are typical of either the wrong brand of filter (e.g. Mahle) or a defective, crushed Porsche filter.

If I were you, I would replace the small oil filter with a new Porsche filter, being careful not to overtighten the new filter, and see what you get.

It certainly could be a bad turbo, but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion right away.

Good luck!

Jim
Old 02-13-2006, 05:53 PM
Kevin Ross
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Jim

The car is going in next week for a service, so I will get them to change the filter... any recommendations on the best filter to put back in? Are you saying that the Porsche filter is the better one?

BTW - it is not smoking today either.....

Many thanks!!
Old 02-13-2006, 07:27 PM
Camber
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kevin:

Yes, use the Porsche filter only!

Check out this thread for more information

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=29434

Quick Reply: The last Gremlin?