Sponsored by:

Drove ZO6 today

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 12:46 AM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drove ZO6 today

Have a ZO6 at my disposal for a few days. It is simply fast. It gives you that thrilling hyperspeed feeling you get with other very quick cars. From 5500 to 7000 rpm is just beautiful.

Selling the Pcar...NFW. Enjoying the ride but not about to trade in.

Damn thing get really hot in the cockpit around town. Tomorrow I'm going to take two slices of bread and put a slice of cheese between them...pop it in the center consol glove box...and by the time I get to where I'm going I'll have a grilled cheese.

Interior is a bit plasticy. Fit and finiish on the body is way better than i'd ever expect and the more I look at it the more I like it.

Seriously stupid fast car though....its a tremendous bang for you buck. It will be even more so in a couple of years when the used ones start popping up. If you get a chance to take a squirt in one...don't turn it down.

....and leave the traction control on!...trust me on that one.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:51 AM
Woodster
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like fun!!
Don't hurt yourself.
Marty K.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:12 PM
tlark
Drifting

Originally Posted by LA964RS
Damn thing get really hot in the cockpit around town. Tomorrow I'm going to take two slices of bread and put a slice of cheese between them...pop it in the center consol glove box...and by the time I get to where I'm going I'll have a grilled cheese.
The Viper suffers from the same issue.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:35 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Is that the C5 or C6 ZO6??
Old 02-07-2006, 01:43 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

I bought a new Z06 and put 42 miles on it, the distance from the dealer to my house. I quickly realized the car was not for me. Very fast but to me there is much more to a vehicle than raw HP. I sold the car and happily went back to my 996TT. To me it was like driving a 500 hp Cadillac. Nice car just not for me. No comparison to the Porsche turbos.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:58 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

This is good info, far better than the usual car mag oohs and aahs!
Old 02-07-2006, 05:10 PM
Woodster
Drifting

La964rs: I believe you are talking in present tense meaning new 505 HP C-6 ZO6.

Truble10: Are you talking about the new Z06??
(I also drove the old one, remember the first year they were 385 hp, then later
were 405 hp and said so right on the fender in front of front door) "405"
the old ones were, well old feeling...fast but in a plasticky way.
Marty
Old 02-07-2006, 07:17 PM
VinnyC
Racer

When they make an AWD car that fast, then it will be something special. Right now, it's just raw power - no finesse. a few rain drops, some sand or snow flakes and it's quite dangerous for even the most experienced driver.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:27 AM
LA964RS
Drifting

Its a brad new Z06...yes 500 hp and gobs of torque. I hustled it around Mulholland today. Its exhausting to drive....which I think also goes down to not knowing the car very well...and the fear of handing back only a set of keys because the rest of the hardware is balled up somewhere in a ditch...And like I said before, it gets stupid hot inside. I thought it got hot becuase I wasn't moving enough air around it. In LA with the trafic this car is a cooker...has great AC though. When I finally got it home I reached down between the seat and the tunnel and it was well over 100 degrees down there. Funny I thought the seat heater was on the day before....no...So leaving the AC on is a must. That doesn't seem to hurt the performance at all. With the 7 liter engine that's probably like a gnat on an elephant. I think I'd need to put 1,000 miles on it just to get a better feel for it. Great breaks and fantastic speed. You really need to plan ahead for a good squirt though as the gears have long legs. Problem is you can poodle around in 4th or 3rd...and then when you stop on it takes a while to get to to big RPM. Got to say when you get into the 5.5 to 7k RPM range the car feel like it might break the earths gravitational pull and fly off into space...leaves a realy big smile on your face...Has a G meter built into the heads up display...seems a bit stupid as you shouldn't be looking at that when you are flinging the thing around. Maybe its downloadable??? Don't know. Car feels very wide in front...suspension is wonderful the way it soaks up bad roads...got a lot of those here. Also sticks way more than you'd think as it does feel a bit "fat".

All in all....very VERY impressive. Wouldn't want to live with it every day. For weekend fun runs...no brainer. But i would still choose my Pcar over it.

Again, if you get the chance to drive one...go for it.

Also, beware, the more you look at it, the better looking it gets....Don't know if its the intoxicating HP or what, but by closing time you'll want to take it home!
Old 02-08-2006, 01:36 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodster
La964rs: I believe you are talking in present tense meaning new 505 HP C-6 ZO6.

Truble10: Are you talking about the new Z06??
(I also drove the old one, remember the first year they were 385 hp, then later
were 405 hp and said so right on the fender in front of front door) "405"
the old ones were, well old feeling...fast but in a plasticky way.
Marty
Marty,
I'm talking about the brand new 2006 Z06. It's really just a matter of opinion and what you want from a sports car. I'm a Porsche guy plain and simple and I have not found an American muscle car that comes close to what I want. They have tons of HP and just not handling or road feel for me.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:37 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Drove it again today....all the way down Mulholland to 405....I could get used to it...much easier to drive today when i'm not flogging it so hard on the straights. It does have nice turn in and exit on the gas is rewarding....I do say that the steering feels a little numb with the power steering...they could ratchet that back a bit....maybe have it speed sensitive...like full power for parking the car and then less and less while you are out flogging it...or have it turned way down when you select competition mode.

Still very impressive, but I'm not trading in the Porsche.

R

Quick Reply: Drove ZO6 today