Sponsored by:

Suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 02:07 PM
993 4S
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension question

Over the summer, my father moved from a '96 C4S to a '97tt. The only thing done to the C4S was pss9 coilovers and it's evident that there is some aftermarket suspension on the turbo too. However, the back sits very, very, low--lower than the front sits too. While it was in for service, my father asked the tech to raise it up a bit in the back (assuming it has some sort of coilover suspension) and the tech called him the next day and said he'd have to order "parts" to raise the ride height. I also assumed it had coilovers, so I called the tech to ask him what he was talking about and he said that to raise it back up, he quoted my for OEM springs and labor. So, I'm guessing that the previous owner only put springs on the car with stock shocks, and certainly not coilovers. I tried taking a peak behind the wheel, but it was too hard to tell--I think they look glossy black. Obviously, we're not looking to go back to the OEM suspension, so what would be our options without buying a set of pss9's or something like that. I have a '00 S4 and ran h&r sport springs, but when the ride was too low, instead swapping for coilovers, I was able to get a set of Bilstien shocks, but got them sleeved, so I can have adjustable ride height. I'm wondering if anyone knows by my short description what kind of springs might be on the car right now (could there be aftermarket shocks also?) and if so, do we have the option of getting sleeved shocks somewhere instead of swapping in a set of coilovers? Thanks in advance guys.

Phil
Old 01-22-2006, 02:28 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You really need to pull a wheel so that you can ID the shocks and possibly the springs.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:30 PM
Jay993turbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem with Eibach springs. My rear was sagging and I found out that my shocks had bottomed out! I had to change them out so I just went with PSS9's. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Suspension question