Performance modifications for 96 993 TT

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 06:45 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Performance modifications for 96 993 TT

I am not sure if this is the right forum to post in but I wanted car specific experience. I have a 96 993 TT with bilstein pss9's, trg adjustable sway bars, strut tower brace, short shift kit, imagine auto stage 2 - 500 hp kit including flashed 97 ecu, billett diverter valves, k&n air filter, and danske ( I think) exhaust. The car is lowered. Ive done 3 DE events and want to make the car safer. What would be the best seat/harness system combo to put in? Also looking for track tire set up and camera system. I thought I would ask here first instead of reinventing the wheel....

My other thought was to sell the car before I get too far in and just get a dedicated track car. I just really like driving my turbo and do not want to get rid of it. All advice welcome.

Thanks
Old 01-14-2006, 07:31 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

DAS Sports roll bar, Sparco Pro 2000 seat, and Schroth harnesses preferably with the 3/2 inch shoulder harness to fit over the Hans device I sincerely hope you will be using.....

After all that it's still too heavy of a car. Fun as hell for DE"s and street, but track limited with 3307 lbs. dry....
Attached Images   
Old 01-15-2006, 01:28 AM
tlark
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trj

My other thought was to sell the car before I get too far in and just get a dedicated track car. I just really like driving my turbo and do not want to get rid of it. All advice welcome.

Thanks
I feel the same way you do in certain respects about selling my twin. It does sound like were in a similar boat.

You have nice higher HP mods and I would suggest following jrs advice and make the car safer and his suggestion spot on. You will enjoy you DE experience more too.

The problem we both face is what do you get to replace it. I follow a GT3 line of thinking with its lighter weight and purpose built intended use......... although it will be hard for me to part with this car. I spoke with V-Bob about this same subject the other day and perhaps he will comment on this thread. He mentioned how fun it was being one of the meaner rides at the track, High HP, all wheel drive (etc) He was and is dead on.

The pic below is the best mod I have made. With respect to tires, search there is plenty of good info from those that have been there and done that.
Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2006, 08:47 AM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Default My thoughts have followed the same process

My thoughts have followed the same process. So I went to the GT3 forum and read awhile. Seems like many of those guys are getting out because the gt3 is not enough of a track car and worse on the road. Which leaves me wondering what to get if I change. An older RSA conversion? Could a Caymen S be built up or even function better while under warranty? Cup cars in the 75 and under range? Is it worth loosing the option of driving on the street in between events? Or keep the turbo for the road and get ??? for the track?
Old 01-15-2006, 01:46 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

This is always a tough decision. I feel Porsche makes the best street/track cars, but compromise is always the problem. The best bet is to sit down and be honest about where your track jones is going in the future. If you are headed towards real racing, a track only car is the answer. If DE is your meat, then a 993tt or 996tt is pretty ideal. There is a definite status in going fast in a capable street car and the right driver can embarass track only cars. Resist the temptation to over modify and you'll continue to enjoy your car on the street. If you stick to mods that address obvious shortcomings(suspension and cooling), it's pretty tough to go wrong.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:02 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

" Resist the temptation to over modify and you'll continue to enjoy your car on the street. If you stick to mods that address obvious shortcomings(suspension and cooling),".....

Great advice. Now if I could only follow it.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:49 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure I will able to give some GT3s a good fight. My car weighed in at 3085 pounds with a 1/4 tank of gas.

Mods to date : Porsche RSR Bilstens custom valved to match 600 front and 900 pound rear springs. MODE design camber plates and monoball mounts. Factory strut brace. BBS mag wheels RS rear sway bar. Alcon 332 mm brake rotors up front. Pagid Yellow / Orange pad combo. Recaro SPG seats. Supercup Steering wheel. RS motor mounts. GT2 clutch and RS flywheel . Installation and tuning by Joel Reiser and much support from Steve Weiner.

BTW , my friend Dave bought John Gordon's car and so far we have been seeing a certain few GT3s in our rear views : ) Don't go to the dark side.. Stay turbo powered !! Andy
Old 01-20-2006, 02:42 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Andy
With the sort of people who have worked on your car you cannot go wrong. Joel has immense experience with these cars as does Steve W, and Bob Holcombe excellent products... Excellent choices. I have no doubt you will give GT3s a run for their money. Now you just need to go 2WD and throw in a Guard LSD.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:58 AM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

2wd, steel syncros, LSD, GT2 uprights, centerlocks, and an ECU upgrade are for next winter : ) Then those pesky GT3s really need to watch out !!

I love the sound of turbos in the morning...Smells like victory.....
Old 01-20-2006, 08:51 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

Andy, that sounds great.

Can you pls help me understand how what you did (beyond the seats) got you down to 3085 lbs?
Old 01-23-2006, 01:14 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Rob I posted this but here you go:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i came in at 3085 with a 1/4 tank of gas. i have removed the back seats, airbag steering wheel, front seats replaced with SPG Recaros, removed: trunk carpet, CD changer, some sound deadening, went to BBS mags, carbon fiber front GT2 splitter, lighter Alcon rotors, removed OEM mufflers, and some other bits.

Other bits are pretty much what Viper Bob had mentioned under my posting. I live in Hoboken if you ever want to meet up. I work dwn twn in NYC.

Andy
Old 01-23-2006, 01:29 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

Andy,
i saw that.. my question was more, 'what is the approx weight reduction of each of those'? its not clear to me, other than seats, how that gets off about 250 lbs..
Old 01-23-2006, 05:08 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Humm, well I'm not really sure what the breakdown is. I have been removing things slowly for 2 years. I think the heavier items were the seats, spare tire, back seats, mufflers, front rotors, wheels. Also the LWF flywheel saves a few pounds. The car was just corner weighted and i saw the numbers so I am posative of the 3085 weigh in. Sorry for the unspecific reply. I do have all the removed parts. i could weight them someday. I figure it like this. Take off whatever you can without gutting the car beyond your taste.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:01 PM
Jsandak
Track Day

I removed everything I could from my car...then I, yes me - the driver, I went on a diet and lost 20lbs. If you are already thin, then you are SOL.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:29 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
Resist the temptation to over modify and you'll continue to enjoy your car on the street. If you stick to mods that address obvious shortcomings(suspension and cooling), it's pretty tough to go wrong.
I think I got the suspension covered with PSS9s.

What do you and other members here suggest for cooling?

Quick Reply: Performance modifications for 96 993 TT