Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broken drop link mount

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005 | 03:50 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Unhappy broken drop link mount

Well, I changed my transmission fluid tonight and went to jack up the car from one side to get it off the last jack stand - then bang.....
I check on the other side and the rear drop link mount for the sway bar (mount that attaches the drop link to shock body) has broken right off !!!???? Can't believe it. Guess it's a good thing it didn't happen while taking a corner..... Doubt I'd be able to just buy the broken part....Any one have a similar experience??

Any suggestions for an upgrade?
Current (broken) set up: H&R coil overs, 25mm front sway bar, 22mm rear sway bar - I liked this set up (bought the car this way) - wouldn't mind something a little stiffer. Roads here are not too bad. Although I don't get to spend as much time as I would like on the track, would like to have it set up for it.....
Old 10-09-2005 | 04:12 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Hi:

Its not uncommon to see this happen if the swaybar mount isn't secured with a locking ring above AND below the mount to prevent it from rotating. Further, if the droplink nuts come loose, the result is the same.

I'd call H&R on Monday and see if they have any spares they can send you.

If you are intent on upgrading the suspension, I'd consider the Bilstein PSS-9's for what you are doing.
Old 10-09-2005 | 12:20 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Thanx Steve

I've read posts about the locking ring before and thought they were tight but you're right, it only has a locking ring above the mount.
I will make some calls on Monday.
I assume its okay to drive carefully with the sway bar and drop links removed? Although 200 miles to your shop may be a little far, I have a week off work later this month...
Ryojo

Quick Reply: broken drop link mount