Sponsored by:

Testing a new intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 08:49 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

TB great feedback. Humidity plays a minor role in the performance readings compared to temperature, so it is not a big deal. I was not trying to compare DIN vs SAE, only taking them as a bench on what a temperature difference *could* represent. The fact that the output readings between both (DIN vs SAE) are only around 1% while using a standard of 5 Degrees Celsius apart and a small barometric pressure difference as well.
I have felt a quite significant difference in performance in my car after a one hour drive in deadly heat, but as you say, still enough hp under the tap to force me not to smash the throttle.
You are absolutely right concerning the engine dyno temps, it is very difficult to maintain a stable low temperature in a room where an engine is being calibrated on the engine dyno.
I have noticed the Flat 6 magazine tests, and I wish the likes of 911 & Porsche World learnt a little from them, they are very thorough, excellent reading.

As far as the I/C, I should show you guys the damage done to my GT2 wing, and it still does not fit 100%. The I/C core is literally 1 mm away from the outer grill, even slightly pushing it in certain places. Next, I am lowering the engine a bit to make it fit better. But I think my I/C is larger than the one pictures, and it sits higher on top of the manifold.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:42 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

My usual sceptism may prove slightly unfounded. The UK Sportec distributor phoned me. The owner of the Ruf (which alledgedly has 550hp ) says he will buy the intercooler if a before/after test shows power gains (I think AMD must have told him MY conditions of purchase ). They are going to run stock vv Sportec tests on his motor. Now obviously I would like to be there to see the full conditions of the testing but these people do seem to guenuinely want to find out if the new I/C works. The good news is that if it doesn't it has saved me time and money
Will keep everyone posted.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:19 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

TB

Thanks for the update. It will be interesting to see if they keep the state of tune the same and just put and remove an I/C, dyno the engine, testdrive and measure temps, and then change back to compare.

I am sure they must like you a lot now that they might have lost a sale to the RUF owner? It's good if they are truly interested in knowing, at least it proves they are genuine.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:58 AM
MOD500
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have heard lots of good things about AMD, is Andy Fearns (sp?) still there?

Shame they are so far south, as I would have loved to come and watch the I/C testing going on.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:12 PM
Jussi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
My usual sceptism may prove slightly unfounded. The UK Sportec distributor phoned me. The owner of the Ruf (which alledgedly has 550hp ) says he will buy the intercooler if a before/after test shows power gains (I think AMD must have told him MY conditions of purchase ). They are going to run stock vv Sportec tests on his motor. Now obviously I would like to be there to see the full conditions of the testing but these people do seem to guenuinely want to find out if the new I/C works. The good news is that if it doesn't it has saved me time and money
Will keep everyone posted.
Any news from these IC tests?

Is it really so that only Secan model is very efficient
and normal(=cheaper) ones like FVD and Cargraphic are waste of money?
It's hard to believe because for example FVD advertises that core is almost 100% bigger than stock. Doesn't this mean less pressure drop and thus more boost and more power?
Old 04-18-2006, 03:56 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by js-911
Any news from these IC tests?
LeonS who posts on here kept this Sportec i/c on his new Ruf 558hp engine. He reported that Ruf said it worked better than stock. I still doubt that personally and am looking forward to running against Leon's 558hp or seeing an AX22 run.
Is it really so that only Secan model is very efficient
Yes
and normal(=cheaper) ones like FVD and Cargraphic are waste of money?
'fraid so
It's hard to believe because for example FVD advertises that core is almost 100% bigger than stock. Doesn't this mean less pressure drop and thus more boost and more power
Intercooler theory when used on these motors falls into the "talk is cheap" category you have to pay to get the stuff which really works.

Quick Reply: Testing a new intercooler