Sponsored by:

Oil overflow...please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 08:07 PM
jasper996
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil overflow...please help

I just had one of my turbos replaced and got he car home. Two days later, I took the TT out for a ride. Once home and up to temp., the oil gauge was not reading 1/2 and the dipstick looked like I needed a 1/4 quart. I topped off the oil ehile the car was running and went to bed.

The next day, I took the car out for a ride and once the oil got up to temp and I was under a heavy foot......oil started dripping everywhere on the passenger's side exhaust. It was a smoke show that I have never experienced. The oil that wasn't smoking was dripping all over the road.

Once I got home and it cooled down, I could determine that the case of the oil was really high in the passenger's side of the engine bay. It looked as if the oil was flowing out of the filler neck and dripping on everything below it. I know not to trust the oil gauge on the dash, but even after the smoke shoe it still was only at 1/4 and the oil is so clean, I can't really read it on the dipstick. Has anyone experienced this? If a TT is overfilled with oil, does it **** out of the filler area when it is under pressure and expanded once up to temperature?

After Simple Greening everything, I took it out last night for a spirited drive. All seemed well and the only smoking this time seems to be small residual drips of oil that must be hidden in the nooks and crannies above the turbo and cat.

Please advise.

Thanks
Old 05-07-2005, 08:42 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the filler cap and dipstick fully seated? Normally an overfilled tt will push it out the exhaust, could you have spilled some when the oil was changed?
Old 05-07-2005, 09:49 PM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

When I first started changing oil on my 993's myself, I noted that if I tried to pour in the oil (when refilling) at a constant rate....over-flow city. And this overspill can look like passenger side leakage. If you cleaned up the area, and your dipstick looks fine, and the leak is resolved.......I am guessing that is what happened.

Now I refill my oil slowly.........
Old 05-08-2005, 06:22 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first bought my TT, the previous owner told me of a time that he added some oil, put the filler cap back on and proceeded to smoke screen everyone around once the temps went up. Even though the filler cap felt like it was on, the accordian neck thing had come between the cap and the filler neck. This prevented the seal and oil flowed out when hot and under pressure. Make sure the accordian is tucked deep in there before closing the cap.

Quick Reply: Oil overflow...please help