Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Returned from track day (Pacific Raceways)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 08:46 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Returned from track day (Pacific Raceways)

Hey fellow 993 Turboers,

I just returned from a track day at Pacific Raceways near Seattle. As usual, the 993 ran perfect, without requiring anything at all, not even topping up of oil. It amazes me how good these cars are and also somewhat frightening how quick they are. Going down the straightaway at PR, the car is just a monster that swallows anything in its path, except for my friend's GT3! I chased him around, lap after lap, to no avail. He's quicker in some places, I'm quicker in others.

I put two new things on the car prior to the weekend: Pirelli Corsa race tires and Pagid Orange pads. This was coming from Pirelli P0 street tires and Ferrodo DS3000 pads.

The Corsas obviously stick much better than the street tires, but I found them to not communicate anywhere near as much as the PZero streets. They may need more sessions to break in or more heat as it was quite cool out there.

I really, really liked the Pagid Oranges. The car had excess braking power available at all times compared to any other car on the track. I don't go race pace at a track event, perhaps 7/10ths or even 6/10ths in slower traffic. I found with the Ferrodos that I was pretty much standing on the pedal, whereas the Oranges, I had lots of braking power left at the same comfort level. I'm very happy with these, but they are not for street use, they squeal like CRAZY.

The only downside to the weekend was a heck of a lot of rock chips from following the GT3 around on track. I'm getting the bumper re-sprayed before the car comes here to Toronto, which should happen in the next few weeks.

We are very lucky to own and drive these cars, it felt so good to get behind the wheel again after five months. Surprisingly, it felt like home again, as if I had driven it the day before.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:52 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Forgot to mention that the Alfa Club was awesome to us and made us feel very welcome. In addition, they privided transponders so that we can see our lap times! We only got two sessions in due to the weather, but in the second session, we were turning 1:44's in quite heavy traffic and never a clear shot down the straight. This club is quite stern about "let-by" zones requiring a let-by the person in front so we had to wait quite often for the person to point us by. I'm not sure if that is a slow or decent lap time, but I would say that there is still at least 2-3 seconds left in the car just by getting a clear lap and probably a 1:39ish lap time if I didn't own the car
Old 04-20-2005, 12:06 AM
tlark
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write up, doing my first DE this weekend with the twins. Certain to be hunting tires soon after this event and Pirelli's are on the short list. Thanks for sharing your observations.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:53 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

What tire pressures where you using with the Corsa's?
Old 04-24-2005, 02:36 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

I ran them at 36/38 but I feel that would be too high for a hot day. This was a very cool day and they performed ok. I don't think I was on the limit on them to be honest so I need more time to really push them to find out where they like to be. Pacific Raceways in the cold and damp was not the right place for me to push the limits

Quick Reply: Returned from track day (Pacific Raceways)