Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help on purchase of 96 993TT/question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005 | 11:58 PM
mars911
Track Day

Default Help on purchase of 96 993TT/question

I just looked at a 1996 TT with 47K miles. It is black with the interior in very good condition and the paint is very good with minor flecks on the front. The present owner just put new tires on it all around today and the shop doing the work put a "scrape" across one of the wheels. The shop has agreed with the owner to send the wheel out for refinishing. How good of a job can be done with a wheel to refinish it and will it look as good as new?
Also before I have had an 88 and a 91 Turbo with stainless mufflers. They seemed to push me back in the seat more under hard acceleration and boost than the TT. The TT seemed faster, but without the kick. Is this my imagination? I did not push this car as hard as I would since I am not the owner, but would like to know if the g's on a TT will match that of an older model.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 04-16-2005 | 01:23 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

mars911,

The wheel can be refinished as good as new but only by a shop that knows how to handle hollow spoke wheels. If they bead-blast the wheels to prep them, and any beads get into the wheel via the valve stem hole... the wheel is pretty much toast... you'll never get all those beads out.

The twin turbo does not have the sudden kick of the old single turbo cars. The twin uses two small turbos which greatly reduce turbo lag, and make the car much more pleasant to drive. The old "kick" was from that big single turbo finally getting spooled up (after considerable lag) and booting the car to a different zip code. Overall, a stock 993TT wil badly smoke a stock 930 of any vintage, and will be much nicer to drive. Of course, this is not to say that you couldn't "tweak" the twin to boost you to a new time zone.

Good luck on the purchase... we'd love to have you join in on the fun here at Rennlist.
Old 04-16-2005 | 09:27 AM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

No matter who does the refinishing the repaired wheel will always have a different texture/color.One of the local shops messed up the 2 rear wheels on my C2 Turbos and despite me asking for a used set they had them refinished but the color and texture was very different.Any way they have now agreed on buying 2 used wheels for me and i would recommend the same to you.
Old 04-16-2005 | 08:29 PM
wunderkap
Track Day

Default Send the Wheels to Wiedmans

Weidmans Wheels will repaint w/ the factory paint and you will never tell the difference. They are the only place I know of that will fix the bent rim w/o heat also. I sent them my rear hollow spoke Turbo Twist wheels off my 993TT to get them super true. They straighten them with jigs to .010-.020" true, better than factory spec .030". The problem is that these wheels are reverse deep dish and the inner edge of the rim has all the engine weight above it. Going over a bad pothole or railroads track can slightly bend the inner rim and it is not visible to the naked eye. I suggest having your PPI mechanic take the wheels off and spin them to see. You never know what the previous owner did with the car.

Weidmans is super busy so it will take a week or two and month if you want a refin. They have been around doing Porsche wheels for 40 years and do not have a website or email. You can find there add in Excellence magazine.

Weidmans Wheels
1675 Wyandotte Ave.
Oroville, CA 95966
530-534-7903
Old 04-17-2005 | 09:03 AM
mars911
Track Day

Thanks for the information. I am going to check into the used wheel option on this car. I will miss the kick of the lagging larger turbo. Now for the PPI.
Old 04-18-2005 | 12:31 PM
Woodster
Drifting

I went from 91 turbo with 1.0 bar boost spring, headers, straight thru mufflers and no cats.
it "felt faster" than the quiet stock 993 twin turbo but I doubt that it actually was. the 993tt
needs to be "woken up" like the c2turbo in my humble opinion... but it is a slippery slope
and involves alot of $$$$! But boy do these twin turbos RIP when they are modified, WOW!
good luck! and ask these guys on rennlist for their opinions--there is no better place to learn!
m.k.

Quick Reply: Help on purchase of 96 993TT/question