Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993tt as a daily driver is this crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 04:45 PM
dsher
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993tt as a daily driver is this crazy?

I have wanted a 993 tt but would have to sell both my cars to make it work a 330xi bmw which I use as a daily driver and a 1999 996 cab as my summer daily and weekend driver is it crazy to go to one car a 993tt get rims and snows for winter here in milwaukee WI and use year aroung. would that destroy potential resale i am very carefull about car care issues has anyone used their tt as all year drivers and have snow experience thanks for your collective advice
Old 03-28-2005, 05:43 PM
EThec
Racer

no snow experience, but i drive mine 3-4 days a week. i don't see why you shouldn't drive it every day in any weather with the right equipment and common sense. ie., stay off the boost in the snow. i love mine and don't care about rock chips or miles. in fact the more normal wear mine shows is a testament to how much i enjoy it. i wash it regularly and maintain it. what else should one do? own it for 8 years and put 1300 miles on it as one individual looking to sell his C4S did? no thanks. that's a waste of space and $$$$. if you lust after one go for it and drive it.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:20 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I drove mine daily for a year. Of course, It don't snow here.
I remember the daily pleasant anticipation of walking out to the parking lot at 5:00 pm to strap on the beast for a drive home the back way over Portrero road.
Get stone guard on the front and drive drive drive.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:26 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

im not a big fan of using it in snow. Clearly, snow tires are a must.
but, i think the car is too low for real snow and bad weather. plus, the salt will be a disaster. Rain is fine, but i would find some other piece of **** to drive in snow/salt.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:07 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mine has been a daily driver for 10 years, my previous Porsche was for 8 including snow. If you live in Milwaukee, winter is way too long to go without driving your good car. Resale will be effected, but so what? Drive it long enough and you'll get your money's worth and amortize the expense. Buying, insuring, parking and maintaining a winter car will end up costing more than the loss in resale anyway. Get some snows and leave it at the US ride height, you'll be a hero to everyone trapped in their winter beater!
Old 03-28-2005, 11:18 PM
Dick in TN
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can do it, it's your choice. I've driven NA 911's year 'round in locations with snow and salt. The bodies won't rust, but you'll see corrosion throughout the suspension and fastners underneath. If car is parked outside all day, sunlight and heat will age the paint and interior. Resale will suffer a lot.

It's hard/impossible to keep a daily driver pristine. For me, If I go a few days to two weeks not driving my Turbo, it's more fun driving it when I do.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:08 AM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife insists she is going to start driving the Turbo. I'll keep everyone posted...
Old 03-29-2005, 08:36 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

While you could use it as a daily driver by fitting 4 snow tyres and decent rubber mats etc it would still not be an ideal car. It doesn't have much ground clearance so after more than perhaps 5 inches of snow it would be a tobbogan. The snow tires would still be quite wide so traction isn't ideal. You would get heat fairly quickly but I couldn't comment on how well the front and rear defrosters work when compared to a more modern car. And can you drive it wearing winter footwear? Sitting as low as it does means it's exposed to even more road spray and debris.

The elements will take their toll on the paintwork and stone chips and salt will also age the car quicker. It will take value off the resale and perhaps make it harder to sell. But if you're going to keep the car long-term then do with it what *you* want, not what others think is right.

On a different note a question you need to ask yourself is whether or not you would still enjoy the car when it's too cold or wet to keep it clean inside and/or outside for weeks at a time. My car isn't a garage queen by any stretch and goes for weeks without being washed but to see it covered in road grime and salt with fender birds growing on it would ruin the experience for me. How clean did you keep your 330 in the winter? Would you want the 993tt to be as clean or even cleaner? Heck, drive the 996 cab in the winter. I personally would rather have PSM and a non-turbo engine over the turbo AWD in winter weather.

So yes, it can be done. It'll be a compromise from a capability and practicality point of view; that's the objective portion. Only you can decide if the subjective portion is something you're willing to endure.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:02 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

See if this article can help with your decision:
http://www.911turbo.com/feature/2003-12/index.php
Old 03-29-2005, 09:23 PM
Curt911
Pro

Do it, cars, espescially Porsches, are meant to be driven! Get an old Subaru Wagon or something cheap with AWD for your snow car or to drive when the TT in in the shop.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:27 PM
Seljan
Pro

I tried it for a while with my TT..i'm just down the road from you.

I ended up selling the winter rims and tires and keep it in the garage unless the roads are clean and the temp is above 30.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:27 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsches are meant to be driven and driven hard at times. JMHO. It would do more damage just sitting there.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:29 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Sameer, I think the winter weather in Wisconsin is slightly different than Singapore.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:08 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'll play devil's advocate here. I wouldn't want to drive my 993TT daily for several reasons. It's too loud, too low, not particularly comfortable when sitting in traffic for an hour, bumps, potholes, expansion joints are jolting, attracts too much attention, uses premium fuel and alot of it.

However, I would recommend getting the TT and a winter beater. Good luck.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:03 PM
Seljan
Pro

Originally Posted by phelix
Sameer, I think the winter weather in Wisconsin is slightly different than Singapore.

Along with everything else,the road crews put so much salt down the roads look like a Margarita glass from December-April.

Quick Reply: 993tt as a daily driver is this crazy?