Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993tt as a daily driver is this crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 07:27 AM
mucor
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey dasher. I drove my 2000 Boxster S in the snow/yearround in Milwaukee for 3 years. It did fine with dunlop sport winter tires but I was limited when snow was deep. Then it became a snow plow and really no fun to drive then. But I had a beater old minivan for use.

I'd be a little weary of having just the 993 turbo as my only car in Milwaukee. I'd think you'll be fine with good tires 90% of the winter days but there are some bad days when the city's snow/salt crew just can't keep up. Spend a grand and buy a POS to use when it gets really bad. Having a second car comes in handy.

My 0.2 cents.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:49 PM
Pete C
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 69 Posts

If you can afford to by a TT, then do yourself a favor and find a descent
10K used car/suv for the winter. The windshields stone chip super easily in these cars. I owned a TT for 5 years and never drove in the inclement weather. I think this helps the feeling of having something special when you are not in it every single day.
Good luck!
Old 04-03-2005, 07:50 PM
Chris 911
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

I have driven my 964 C2 during 2 winters, and had it stored one winter. I added some weight in the front to give better traction for braking and steering. (40 kg, or about 90 pounds) Also made shure to run with as much fuel as possible in the tank. The car really performs well also on snowy conditions, but is a bit low (mine has a RUF lowering kit) , and try to get as narrow tires as possible (i have 17 inch with 255 rears and 215 fronts which is a bit wide for winter, but works. The turbo runs 285 rears as standard if I´m correct) The 4 wheel drive of the turbo will not give you the SUV or Audi Quattro setup, but you probably know that. Problem with wide tires is that they tend to float on top of the snow instead of digging in. Traction is however great due to the placement of the engine over the rear wheels.

Heating: Definately no issue in mine. I have never experienced a car that heats up this well! After 3 minutes the car has full heat. You can get "foggy window problem" from time to time, but the defroster /demister does its job very well.

Winter driving does wear a bit harder on the car, so you should be prepared for a little extra expence in the spring time to get the car up to top condition.

I washed my car every week at least once, and also made shure that I washed the wheel arches and underside of the car. (to remove as much salt as possible) When changing to summer tires last week I spent the whole day cleaning the engine and all other accesible areas. I have also removed the under trays cleaning the underside of the car.

Our cars are very sensitive to stone chips, both on windscreens and front, so this is a bigger problem in winter time. (I still go "AAAAAAHH" everytime I hear a chip of some sort)

To me it would be ideal to have a Porsche for the summertime, and Subaru Impreza WRX (STI maybe) for the winter. Don´t like the look, but probably the best winter car you can get. (cheap horsepower as well)

Winter conditions can also teach you a lot about how the car performs on the edge. Once you get the hang of the slides in this car you get prepared for how it handles on the edge in dry conditions as well.

If you can avoid using your car in the winter, then do so to keep the good condition of the car because it does wear more on the car, If not: Porsche designed a great car which is possible to use as a daily driver in all conditions.

Quick Reply: 993tt as a daily driver is this crazy?