Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intercooler Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 12:57 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My uneducated opinion is that, if you want to keep making the horsepower that you paid for under most conditions, an upgraded oil and intercooler are a great idea. Your car will run OK but your ECU will start to pull timing if things get hot. I was told I might expect to lose 100 hp on a hot day with crappy gas.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:20 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 97 993c2
thanks for the explaination. Does my Ruf (cargraphic) oil cooler come with a little fan as described by jrgordon? If not, what do i need to get?
Rob the fan I switched is the factory fan already in place from Porsche. While it would be interesting to put a fan on the auxillary cooler, I doubt it's necessary. The factory unit blows quite hard on high, and as I stated earlier, you can feel the temps drop over just a few minutes by simply holding you hand down in front of the front bumper at the passenger side. Without doubt, it's the most cost effective mod you can do for a air-cooled P-car, NA or TT.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:53 AM
martyg
Advanced

Default Same IC?

JR is the IC in my pictures the same as yours. 5 minute? Even with my Z I never thought 5 minutes. 2 minutes. Is 5 for track, only. Seems like a long time. But...

The switch. Seems you would need that for the track right? Driving my car on the street with short bursts of speed you would not need the switch or 5 minutes. Opinion?
Old 02-24-2005, 03:56 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Marty,

Your IC is bigger than stock.
I think the fan switch is needed for So Cal driving whether track or street. Where you live stays relatively cool, but if you drive into the valley during the summer and get stuck in traffic your oil temps will rise dramatically. The fan switch simply allows you to cool down the oil long before the factory themostat settings turn it on. It's just another safety precaution, but it's a cheap one that produces a large benefit.
There is another trick if you have an auxillary oil cooler which is installed on the drivers side. Turn the AC on high ( the larger button on the left side of the controls) if you get stuck in traffic. While I know this goes in the face of convential wisdom, the AC unit has a fan that sucks in air when placed on high and since the auxillary cooler is in front of the AC cooler additional air is drawn through that cooler too. With the switch above, you could turn both fans on, keep cool with the windows up, and be cooling down your engine oil all simultaneously. Way cool!
Old 02-24-2005, 05:19 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hahaha I have done the ac trick many times while in extremely poor traffic and it does work by pulling the hot air off the radiators!
Old 02-24-2005, 06:34 PM
martyg
Advanced

Default JR

Do you have pictures of the switch?
Old 02-24-2005, 07:31 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by martyg
Do you have pictures of the switch?