Sponsored by:

recolouring / dye seats with Surflex

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 04:35 PM
ACEparts_com
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default recolouring / dye seats with Surflex

Just thought I'd post this incase it's of interest to anyone.
A while ago I replaced my standard sports seats with GT3 seats:

but really wanted them in original 'classic grey'. After much phoning and emailing different companies, the choices I was left with were:
1) Buy new gt3 seats in any colour from porsche. Cost loads and 12 month wait.

2) Have southbound re-trim my seats. Cost £800 + vat but would also destroy my original leather covers which I thought I could sell and recoup a few £££

3) Recolour my seats. After much searching (rennlist.com) I discovered a company called www.colorplus.com who match your trim sample and supply a complete kit consisting of Cleaner, Conditioner & Dye.

To use, I removed the seats and cleaned them thoroughly, then conditioned them and then sprayed the dye on. One thick coat followed by a thin coat. Spraying is not important and an equally good finish can be obtained by brushing the dye.
Total cost £100 including postage.

Results:

If anyone's interested I'll post again in six months to let you know how they've worn.
Overall, I'm very impressed with the finish; as good as factory. I'm yet to buff them up as i'll let them sit a couple of weeks first.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:57 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool I actually have grey gt3 seats and wanted black, but the grey has grown on me especially as I had two tone grey and black on my last amg. Let us know how they wear and if the black starts coming though-
Old 02-01-2005, 10:23 PM
Doug Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your seats look great! I went to the website and did not see the Porsche gray listed. Do you have them custom match your interior, or was it a stock color?
Old 02-02-2005, 03:50 AM
ACEparts_com
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Custom matched. I'll post the reference number later.

Quick Reply: recolouring / dye seats with Surflex