Sponsored by:

suspension noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 02:18 PM
rinlv1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension noise

i like to get opionions on what could this problem be before i take the car apart...

The noise only comes from front driver side and only on bumps. Its more of "clunk" and noticeable on any speeds.... i do not get this noise on hard turns... although i haven't done any real hard turn.. And not on pushing the fender down.. i think more when the wheel is bumped up....

The car has 21k miles and original shocks with HR springs..

thanks, any input is appreciated

Ray
Old 01-18-2005, 09:47 PM
weston98
Rennlist Member

one item to check is the shocks as if they are originals they are most assuredly shot.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:47 PM
mkhn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had some shoddy suspension work done to my MR2 turbo back in the day and I also had a clunking noise coming from one corner and mostly intermittently as well. Not every bump would set it off, but it would clank from time to time...sometime frequently and other times not so frequently. It was very frustrating. I finally decided to have the entire shock and springs removed and upon doing so noticed that the portion of the strut that stabilizes it to the underside of the body where the shock should attach was missing. I dont remember the name of this part. In changing out your springs, its possible that they might have forget to tighten this down or even forgot it altogether.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:45 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Ray:

The very first thing I'd check are the nuts that secure the upper shock mounts to the strut towers and the big nuts at the tops of the struts.

Although your stock shocks are nothing great at 21K miles and you oughta be thinking about replacing them soon, I'd also suggest that one (or both) of your front swaybar bushings might be loose and allowing the front swaybar to hit the mount(s).
Old 01-19-2005, 01:13 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

I have had a few customers that insisted on H&R springs for their cars. Several have had issues related to clunking. When we looked at the variable ratio springs, we noticed some rubbing on some coils under load that were not currently touching. With a little more work we found that the spring was hitting itself and causing a clunking noise going over bumps. This may or may not be your issue, but something to look at....
Old 01-22-2005, 02:43 AM
rinlv1
Rennlist Member

Thank you fellas for gracious input. When i get around to finding the reason, i'll post..

In the mean time I'll be shopping for PSS9

This forum is so awesome...

Quick Reply: suspension noise