Sponsored by:

Factory Power Kits - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 12:32 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ziad,

You have a wonderful all-rounder already. I'd say that the 993TT is one of the best value for money you can get in this category. You should have no problems beating most cars both on the street and on the track. However there are a few things you could improve.

An M3 has less power, but is still quicker around many the tracks. I think some good stuff for the chassi would do very well. Plenty of people here have improved their cars this way, and I'm sure that you can get good support for improving track-times that way. I'm not really an expert in the field of setting-up this stuff but a pair of PSS-9 is a good start and should work for both street and track. If you're going 100% track, Öhlins would be a good choice.

One of the best things actually is to take a bag of money and go to nearest track and find a good instructor. This is probably the best way to beat most cars, since what they lack is not from the car but from their own skills.

If you want to increase power, then I wouldn't go for less than a +50hp improvement. I dont think you will be satisfied with less. In general, about 490hp can be achieved without taking the engine apart. It also depends on what type of gas you can run on. If you have 98 octane available, then it should be no problem, but the more power the better gas you need. It's mostly some Turbo stuff, extra oilcooler and chip-modifications. If you worry about the effect of value, make sure you can convert the car back to standard easily and that you use standard components.

You are right about the Mazda. It's much lighter than the GT2. To start with it's a 1.3L engine, and that makes it lighter compared to a 3.6L engine...

(Hmm... it almost looks like a Radical with a roof)

Originally Posted by Ziad
Rassel,

Thanks for all your input. I'm looking for a wicked all-rounder.

Fun on the track? a big yes.

Excellent lap-times? Only when the $$$ flows like wine. Not a priority right now. I think I need to lrean how to drive properly on the track first...

I still want to crush M3s, M5s, AMGs... Can't wait to come across the new M5... I think I would be pushing my luck with the new Ferrari 430...

A HP beast? Oh yeah - but can't afford a beast just yet.

No bling.

Re the braking; isn't the braking all about the weight? U said the Mazda was very light.
Ziad
Old 10-30-2004, 02:43 AM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rassel,
Thanks for all the valuable feed back....
Regards,
Ziad
Old 10-31-2004, 07:58 PM
ACEparts_com
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess it depends on what you want and how much effort you want to put in, but i've made my 993tt at least 100% faster in just 12 months by having some proper track tuition on six track days. I now feel much more confident with the car and it's handling which is sensational. The car is completely stock.
Good thing about tuition is that you can take it with you to another car. If you're in doubt, get someone who can really drive take you for a spin around a circuit in your car - you'll be amazed!
Old 11-01-2004, 01:13 PM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

ACEparts_com

Thanks... I think that track tuition will be my starting point...

What's the TechArt exhaust like?
Regards,
Ziad
Old 11-01-2004, 05:44 PM
ACEparts_com
Pro

The exhaust it great. Sounds really throaty at lowish revs but is not at all intrusive into the car. When cold it sounds like a boat! I've got a couple of track day videos to upload but can't find my membership number to put them on rennlist!
BTW, the car came fitted with the exhaust from the factory.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:53 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Ziad

I would go with muffler bypass if you want to make the car louder while improving response...and reducing weight. Cheaper, and you can still get it back to stock when you want.

Got the car at home yet? Any pics?
Old 11-02-2004, 11:13 AM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

Jean

Unfortunately, I'm still waiting (nearly 1 month now)!!! I've been told that it should be in Bahrain next week, however I'll be out of the country for most of the week . If I'm lucky, it'll get here before I go. Let's see...

Thanks for the tip re the exhaust. This is wicked.

The "GT Festival" will be on 25 & 26 Nov '04. There is a small chance that I'll get my hands on 1 or 2 VIP passes - if I get an extra one, would you be interested? There should be some very evil cars on the day.

Did you manage to watch the video of the last event?

re the LM wheels, I still need to find out who'll be able to repair them (if the offer still stands). I think there's a place in Dubai - will investigate.

Regards,
Ziad
Old 11-02-2004, 11:44 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Ziad,

Congratulations on getting a TT! I bet you're really anxious for it to finally get here, in it and drive and listen to those high RPM notes. Hope to see some pix soon. I'm not a regular here in the Turbo forum. I hang around in the N/A 993 forum 98% of the time. I was talking to Georges about a HID conversion he got from Dubai. I was asking if he know of any outlet here in Bahrain I could get it from, when Jean L. told me to look you up in this forum 'cause you are in Bahrain. Reenlisters never ceases to amaze me on how much they are willing to help!

Anyways, didn't mean to hijack your post, but I've been here in Bahrain for almost 4 months now and I've been missing my baby which is sitting in the garrage back home. Are there any car accessory outlets here that might carry porsche upgrade parts(i.e. HID conversion for the 993, body kits)? Also, I've been hearing about your very nice F1 track here and wondering if the local Porsche club do their events often. I saw in the Bahrain Weekly how one of the local dealers recently hosted the CGT introduction. Could you please let me know if you have anymore upcoming events? I would love to see your cars and talk p cars and of course meet the local porsche enthusiasts. I've been drooling on the picutres you posted above.

Thank you ~MIke
Old 11-02-2004, 01:05 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Ziad,

If it is Nabooda who is delaying the delivery let me know, I can help.
I will definitely be in Bahrain in November and I have the passes, thank you for the offer. The LM offer is of course still standing . I am still waiting for the video, should be here tomorrow
Mike we will definitely hook up next time I am in Bahrain, I will PM you, good luck with the HID.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:13 PM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

Jean,
Thanks, you're a star, I spoke to Al Nabooda and it should be here very soon. It was originally supposed to be delivered by boat, but a couple of parts took quite a while to arrive so the work was only completed recently. Now that the car is ready, it will be brought across on a transporter. I hope to have it next week.

Jean, you've got my contact details - right? When are you arriving in Bahrain and where are you staying? We should all hook up.

Are you coming to the Grand Prix in April 05?

Mike,

Welcome to Bahrain. This is great, I love this forum.

Anxious is an understatement. I'm sure there is somewhere in Bahrain where you can get an HID conversion... I'm going down to the Porsche workshop this Saturday... I'll ask - do you want to come with me to see the workshop ??? there was a 959 in there last time I went down... If HID's not available in Bahrain, my cousin lives in Dubai and he'd be more than happy to sort something out. Do you know where your friend got the HID from in Dubai???

We do do events at the F1 track, but not as frequently as we'd like; low volumes: there simply aren't enough Porsches in Bahrain (or cars for that matter). The 1st event we did, we managed around 30 Porsches of which around half (I think) came from Saudi. If it hadn't been for the Porsches from Saudi, it would have been cheaper to take a flight to Germany for a weekend at the Nurburing ! Seriously. So now, we are trying to run Porsche Club events on the back of other events... Otherwise the costs are too high. Since these events are not that frequent anyway, we are limited as to the number of events we can organise. Nonetheless, the situation continues to improve and the support we are getting from Saudi is making it possible to run these events. I am optimistic.

Organising these events is a logistical nightmare - there are 5 of us on the Porsche club board, all with work commitments, business trips, family, etc.. We are however, trying to organise something before year-end. I will know more in the next couple of days.

Whatever happens, next event (GT Festival, 25 & 26 Nov) and you're coming to meet the rest of the Porsche nuts!!! Let me know about Saturday. I will send you a PM with my contact details.
Regards,
Ziad
Old 11-04-2004, 01:28 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Ziad, Great to hear from you. I sent you a PM. Thanks much for the warm welcome.

Jean, Thanks again for the referal and hope to meet you when you visit Bahrain!
Old 11-04-2004, 03:56 PM
ACEparts_com
Pro

Here's an in car video from last weekend! Nearly lose it at the end. phew!

www.pistonheads.tv/clip173

Quick Reply: Factory Power Kits - worth it?