Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 01:10 PM
User 123
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Markups on 993 Turbo's

Check out this completed ebay auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

Then look at the Premier cars inventory… http://www.premiercars.com/inventory.php

They stole this Turbo and are marking it up $21K!!!!

Wide Bid/Ask Spread

Doug
Old 10-21-2004, 01:44 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is ridiculous but someone will inevitably purchase it. It will be easier for someone to finance $80k rather than an all cash $61K purchase.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:52 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's business. They buy it, pay some tax, trransport it, clean it up a little, sell it for a little less than the ask, and insure it while they own it. So they make less than the diff in price noted, but still a pretty penny. I am sure Premier did nto do a really thorough check, replace what is broken, etc, but rather are going to buff and polish it and not attend to the details. So they are ripping someone off. Up to folks to say no.

Yeah, car dealers sometimes have a reputation that is well deserved...
Old 10-21-2004, 02:41 PM
merry0911
Track Day

I believe you all might want to do a little further investigation before you make accusations without facts.
#1. Premier was not the winning bidder on that Turbo - Premier bought it from another dealer - maybe the winning bidder maybe a dealer that bought it from the winning bidder.
#2. I can assure you Premier paid a lot more than the winning bid for that Turbo.
#3.Premier has gone thru the car extensively and will correct all problems found - to make the car "right". And yes will also do a two day wheels off concors detail.
#4. Not that it is anyone’s business and I don't know how all dealers do it - but Premier tries to make 10% profit on their cars - that is not out of line - there are many expenses to running a dealership apart from just getting a car ready - like advertising, payroll, & insurance - just to name a few.
#5. I don't know what business you all are in but I am sure what ever it is - you are in it to make a profit - right?
#6. If someone wants to sell a car on eBay or where ever for under market value - for what ever reason that might be - why is it the Dealers fault? You have just as much right to buy that car as a dealer does.
Just wanted to post another side to the coin.........
Old 10-21-2004, 02:54 PM
User 123
Instructor

I assumed that Premier had purchased the car - evidently they did not.

I too am in business to make a profit.

However, I think that a $21K differential in price was worthy of posting on this board.

Doug
Old 10-21-2004, 02:55 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Merry:

Points all taken, but since you likely work at Premier, you are also a little biased, no? And, sorry, Merry, I have seen many cars turned around at a sickening profit with absolutely no upkeep other than a wash and maybe a wax. There are plenty of facts, just little documentation, so we can argue forever.

Hey if the market will bear it, then absolutely get as much as you can, right? Wrong. Somewhere in there folks should draw the line, and stop scalping others just because they can. Just my 2c.

Whatever, you are going to try to sell it for a hell of a lot more than you paid for it. Whose fault is that? The buyer's, as I said.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:04 PM
stuttgart_20
Intermediate

$82.5K is nothing short of outrageous...
Old 10-21-2004, 04:35 PM
merry0911
Track Day

Hi Guys – Really, I am not trying to start anything – just showing that there are two or more sides to every story – You know what they say about opinions – ha!
I have been selling Porsche’s for 8 years now and love what I do – I have a great passion for 993’s in general and I really enjoy reading the posts on Rennlist. I have leaned so much here. But it also bothers me when I see posts that categorize all dealers – we are all not the same. I pride myself in selling pristine cars and try very hard to earn a prospects business – by being honest and delivering them the nicest used car they have ever seen. Most of our business comes from past customer and referrals. Sure we aren’t perfect and there are some times – very few - I might add that we miss something – but we try hard to stand by our cars and make the customer happy. Fact is you can’t always make everyone happy – you guys know that - but we do a pretty darn good job. Anytime any of you are coming thru MO – please stop in and take a look at our Inventory – I truly believe our cars will impress you.

footUnder – I can assure you Premier will make no where close to $21k on this car or any other for that matter.

Stedge – I do work at Premier – have for 8 of the 9 years they have been in business. A little biased – probably – but I can assure I will never distort the facts. You all assume what we do – I live it every day. If you would like to see documentation – please visit my website and view my reference letters. Yes, we ask a premium price for our cars – but what we ask and what we actually get are two different numbers. I assure you the process we go thru is much more that just wash and wax. The checklists and procedures we go thru are quite lengthy. You are right though – buyers make the market – some people are willing to pay a little more to get a quality product.

Stuttgart_20 - Everyone has a right to express their opinion – I respect yours.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:12 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Fair enough.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:44 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Merry0911,

I you are really Premier, wouldn't it be more forthcoming to make this fact obvious in your handle?

Obviously, there are numerous costs involved in your business in addition to the cost of the goods and you are entitled to make a profit. I am also in business and understand profit. I also believe that if I treat my clients fairly, in the long run, it will be better for my business.

This is one of the reasons we all love ViperBob!
Old 10-21-2004, 06:32 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Merry0911,

Thanks for giving us the 411 from the other side. Premier does appear to have some of the cleanest examples of 993s around. Glad to see there are dealers out there who know the 993 market and can deliver a quality car.

The best part about seeing your post here is the fact you obviously know that Rennlist is the place to be!

Look forward to seeing more posts from you.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:24 PM
merry0911
Track Day

Hal m – I assure you I do work for Premier Sportscars Co. – what are your suggestions for my “handle”? I am open to suggestions. Just that I didn’t want to appear that I was advertising – that’s why I chose my name. I really enjoy reading the posts and throwing my two cents in once in a while. Just a little gun shy with the way some guys dislike dealers – hopefully I can get some of them to see we are not all terrible people. I have a love for Porsche's like all of you.

Adsc4s – Thank you. I do know Rennlist is a great place to be and I have the up most respect with John Dunkle – as I have dealt with him in the past on a Dealer site. I will post more now that I see I won’t be tar and feathered – HA!
Hope I didn't just jinx myself!
Old 10-21-2004, 07:51 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Merry,

I agree with Adison (adsc4s), and am glad to welcome you aboard. I think its of great benefit to get the "other" side of issues, and to hear it from someone who really loves Porsches is a benefit to all of us.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:06 PM
Tour18
Banned

Hey Merry, I wish I had a dollar for every time I visited your site. Let's skip past the opening of this thread and you just continue to hang around here. And maybe keep us up to speed on the dealer side of things now and then...

I bet everyone on this board would like to be a Premier, Brumos, Fantasy Junction, etc...
Old 10-22-2004, 12:38 AM
tlark
Drifting

I dito in wishing a dealership of reputation keeping us up to speed on the market. From what I have seen most of us are knowledgeable on dealer and/or wholesale values and aware that a buyer exists for every car. With respect to the varied opinions here on what any dealership is making on profit or how outrageous pricing is....people are paying premuims for certain cars which does tell us how strong this TT market is ! Lets say they discount this car 5-10%, that indicates our cars are holdinh there own does it not......

Quick Reply: Dealer Markups on 993 Turbo's