Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Viper Bob clutch installed, just picked up car!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 10:41 PM
No Substitute
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper Bob clutch installed, just picked up car!!

Just got home, it was like learning to drive all over again. For those of you who don't know, I have had GT2 clutch kit and LWF installed along with new brake rotors, belts, and all fluids and filters. The clutch is very tricky, it engages high, the actual engagement is in about a half inch of travel, it chatters pretty bad if you don't bring the revs up, and when you do, be careful cause the LWF will bring the revs hard and fast....double whammy!! I stalled it about 4 times coming home, and bounced off of 5 grand once just trying to feather it in without chatter. Some of the early launches were reminiscent of newbie learning clutch....pretty comical/embarassing!! By the time I had completed my 40 mile trip home, I believe the clutch may have worn in a little, and I had gotten a better grasp on learning it. Or maybe I had worn in a little and the clutch had gotten a better grasp of me! I must say this, after havng this car for 6 weeks I finally got to feel a little of what it's made of, and that was worth the price of admission alone! I am having no stalling issues except those that were self-induced. Tomorrow night...Fabspeed's!!!! Then a little more practice/break-in. Any comments or tips from those who have this set-up??
Old 10-20-2004, 11:06 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chris,

I have a similar set-up and it does take some use to get things smoothed out. I installed mine in the spring and other than the LWF the clutch seems like a stock feel now. No worries. Just drive as much as possible.

It is entertaining to watch someone else try to drive the car though.

Enjoy.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:49 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Cool upgrade, but I have to ask...isnt Atlanta more than 40 miles away from ViperBob's?
Old 10-21-2004, 12:30 AM
kevin930s
Instructor

LoL i just got mine back from VB last week and i staled 2 times right in frount to him.
It just takes a little getting use to but after that wow its nice
i also got the pss9s and RG sway bars and the car feels like its on rails now
Old 10-21-2004, 02:18 AM
No Substitute
Advanced

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Cool upgrade, but I have to ask...isnt Atlanta more than 40 miles away from ViperBob's?
I know a shortcut! Actually parts from Bob, work by Performance Imports Atl. Peter's German accent helps take the angst out of all this surgery!
Old 10-21-2004, 02:29 AM
No Substitute
Advanced

Originally Posted by kevin930s
LoL i just got mine back from VB last week and i staled 2 times right in frount to him.
It just takes a little getting use to but after that wow its nice
i also got the pss9s and RG sway bars and the car feels like its on rails now
We talked about those suspension upgrades today. Seems they are they only "necessary" upgrades the TT needs. I'll start saving! I did want to ask, do you, or did you at first, experience a fair amount of clutch chatter when engaging at lower RPM's? I have noticed a real need to match RPM's perfectly on downshifts too. I have owned hundreds of cars, done some racing etc, and if I'm having this much trouble at first with getting the hang of this clutch, then I can't wait to get some of my mechanic and racing friends behind the wheel and have a good laugh!!
Old 10-21-2004, 02:37 AM
No Substitute
Advanced

Originally Posted by KRA993tt
Chris,

I have a similar set-up and it does take some use to get things smoothed out. I installed mine in the spring and other than the LWF the clutch seems like a stock feel now. No worries. Just drive as much as possible.

It is entertaining to watch someone else try to drive the car though.

Enjoy.
Keith, Thanks for the advice. Enjoy I do, and drive I will! I'm very much looking forward to getting some of my mechanic and racing buds behind the wheel and having a real good laugh at their expense. Right now I want to get some easy miles on the new clutch and brakes.....as if I need an excuse to drive it!
Old 10-21-2004, 08:20 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

no subsititute -
is the LWF/gt2 clutch useable in urban areas - like nyc?? im thinking of it for when i need a new clutch, but am a little scared as i dont want to have it be very noisy or rattley or stalling when i have to ride the clutch as 'jose stops a taxi in front of me' and other city driving situations.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:14 PM
No Substitute
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rob 97 993c2
no subsititute -
is the LWF/gt2 clutch useable in urban areas - like nyc?? im thinking of it for when i need a new clutch, but am a little scared as i dont want to have it be very noisy or rattley or stalling when i have to ride the clutch as 'jose stops a taxi in front of me' and other city driving situations.
Rob, At this point I feel the best thing I can say is I would like to spend a little more time with it before answering your question. I think that there is a probability that the clutch will mellow some, and that I will get better accustomed to it. I am also trying to figure out if mine is particularly chattery on low(normal) RPM take off, or if they all are. It was a challenge last night in rush hour traffic, I will tell you that. I am going to try to put a couple/few hundred miles on it over the weekend and then I'll give you my verdict on the ease and comfort of urban driving. As far as rattles and noises go, they are minimal, and also at low RPM's. If you have an aftermarket exhaust you probably will never hear them. I'm putting my Fabspeed's on possibly tonight, so we'll see then. I'll try to post again on Monday. Chris
Old 10-21-2004, 12:40 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Glad you got it in Chris. I am sure the Fabspeeds will be a fun little DIY....

The clutch does break in with a little driving. The one side is carbon on the clutch, so a few heat cycles smooths it out a little. With the turbos power clutch, the pedal is a little higher than on NA cars with a similar setup. I too had the issue of stalling it when I first did my own upgrade. Now it is very smooth and no different than stock (except it has no issue grabbing with over 600HP). That is unless I have just done a bunch of NA cars and then jump into mine. Then it is learning time all over again....
Old 10-21-2004, 12:50 PM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I have the exact same setup, LWF and GT2 clutch sourced from Viperbob as well.

I posted a month or so ago about the trickiness of the new clutch. The engagement point is definitely high, I was begining to think of a slave cylinder problem, but that's the way it's supposed to be. The window of the engagement point is short as well, maybe 1-1.5 inches of vertical movement, it opens and closes fast. I find the force required to move the pedal the same as the stock setup. It took some getting used to, and now I like the quick engagement. With the LWF, the revs rise very quickly, such that it was hard getting to the point of being able to balance/ride the cltuch on hills or for a delayed takeoff waiting for traffic ahead to move. I'd put the lever in gear, engage the clutch, give it a little gas, the revs would jump very high, I'd stab the clutch pedal too deeply, the revs would fall very steeply, and I'd fear a stall so I'd stab the pedal too deeply again. All very embarrassing for a while, particularly having driven all kinds of sports car and truck clutches over the years. Now that I realize all the action is in the first inch or so of depression, it's no problem. Steep hills and shooting into openings in traffic from a dead stop were nerve racking experiences for the first two weeks, but now I've adjusted sufficiently to operate it (including parallel parking on hills) just fine. My confidence was shaken a little bit at first, so I was worried that it would be a royal pain in daily traffic, but now that I've mastered it I like the quick engagement, and together with the LWF, I'm into the sweet spot of the rev band very quickly and moving off faster than before.

I've changed the way I operate the clutch with my foot. Where previously I kept the heel of my left foot on the floor at all times during operation of the clutch, I find that I can modulate it better if my entire foot is off the ground and pressing down and forward on the clutch pedal rather than just forward on the clutch pedal. Size 11 shoes. Just my two cents.

It's odd that you all hear loud chatter during normal operation, I hear none during normal operation. The only time I hear any chatter is if I lug the car in 3rd gear.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:52 PM
nman413
Drifting

I had my car at Big Willow and 2 instructors stalled it trying to get it on the track which was pretty funny.
I'm used to driving the car now, probably 7000 miles with the LWF and as long as you are careful, no real issue at all.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:27 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

My RUF came with LWF and I have never stalled. May be it's easier when there's no 'before and after' habits to relearn.

CP
Old 10-22-2004, 02:06 PM
No Substitute
Advanced

Originally Posted by John H. in DC Area
I have the exact same setup, LWF and GT2 clutch sourced from Viperbob as well.

I posted a month or so ago about the trickiness of the new clutch. The engagement point is definitely high, I was begining to think of a slave cylinder problem, but that's the way it's supposed to be. The window of the engagement point is short as well, maybe 1-1.5 inches of vertical movement, it opens and closes fast. I find the force required to move the pedal the same as the stock setup. It took some getting used to, and now I like the quick engagement. With the LWF, the revs rise very quickly, such that it was hard getting to the point of being able to balance/ride the cltuch on hills or for a delayed takeoff waiting for traffic ahead to move. I'd put the lever in gear, engage the clutch, give it a little gas, the revs would jump very high, I'd stab the clutch pedal too deeply, the revs would fall very steeply, and I'd fear a stall so I'd stab the pedal too deeply again. All very embarrassing for a while, particularly having driven all kinds of sports car and truck clutches over the years. Now that I realize all the action is in the first inch or so of depression, it's no problem. Steep hills and shooting into openings in traffic from a dead stop were nerve racking experiences for the first two weeks, but now I've adjusted sufficiently to operate it (including parallel parking on hills) just fine. My confidence was shaken a little bit at first, so I was worried that it would be a royal pain in daily traffic, but now that I've mastered it I like the quick engagement, and together with the LWF, I'm into the sweet spot of the rev band very quickly and moving off faster than before.

I've changed the way I operate the clutch with my foot. Where previously I kept the heel of my left foot on the floor at all times during operation of the clutch, I find that I can modulate it better if my entire foot is off the ground and pressing down and forward on the clutch pedal rather than just forward on the clutch pedal. Size 11 shoes. Just my two cents.

It's odd that you all hear loud chatter during normal operation, I hear none during normal operation. The only time I hear any chatter is if I lug the car in 3rd gear.
I figured as much about time healing my clutch discomforts. I am going to try your foot action on the pedal, it makes sense to me...actually I think I may have already been applying some of your principle without thinking about it!
The chattering I am referring to is not noise chatter, it's a shimmy which kind of shakes the whole driveline. At higher take-off rev's it doesn't do it, but it is very difficult to not suddenly over rev, back-off the throttle, and then stall....or launch in an ungainly fashion. I'll get the hang of it....
Old 10-22-2004, 02:07 PM
No Substitute
Advanced

Originally Posted by icerbofh
I had my car at Big Willow and 2 instructors stalled it trying to get it on the track which was pretty funny.
I'm used to driving the car now, probably 7000 miles with the LWF and as long as you are careful, no real issue at all.
That's the kind of story I like to hear! I don't feel so silly now.

Quick Reply: Viper Bob clutch installed, just picked up car!!