Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Viper Bob clutch installed, just picked up car!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 02:15 PM
No Substitute
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
My RUF came with LWF and I have never stalled. May be it's easier when there's no 'before and after' habits to relearn.

CP
It must be this particular clutch, pressure plate, LWF combo. Believe me, I drive unfamiliar cars and trucks all day without a problem, been driving for 33 years, and have owned some very hi-perf cars, and this little set-up is a real booger to get accustomed to! I will master it though.....
Old 10-23-2004, 09:24 AM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

The chattering I am referring to is not noise chatter, it's a shimmy which kind of shakes the whole driveline. At higher take-off rev's it doesn't do it, but it is very difficult to not suddenly over rev, back-off the throttle, and then stall....or launch in an ungainly fashion.
I had the same thing. It will only get better with use.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:08 PM
No Substitute
Advanced

Originally Posted by KRA993tt
I had the same thing. It will only get better with use.
Thank you, thank you! This shimmy is what has really been driving me nuts, and it does seem to already be getting better. I just couldn't deal with tearing up motor or subframe mounts and who knows what else in time.
Now, lets talk Fabspeed...
Put mine on last night. They changed everything! I used to drive most of the time at 2200-3000 RPM's, and it seemed a good normal operating zone. Not anymore! The engine just seems so happy at higher revs now. It sort of reminds me of the old RX-7's. By ear, it sounded like you were doing 3000 RPM"S, and when you looked at the tach it would be reading 5 or 5500. They are a little loud at first, but once the cats warm up they seem to get quieter. They are a tad louder than I'd like for some situations, but all in all I am very pleased. They also help me better match engine and clutch as well. I went out today, and in the sun the inside of the pipes looked like s**t so I got out the dremel and assorted compounds and went to work polishing the insides. They look much better now, but not near as nice as the outsides. Note to Fabspeed: For the price it seems you people should have done this. In a month they'll probably be black inside so it won't much matter...
I'm about done messing with this car for awhile, I hope!
Old 10-24-2004, 01:34 AM
nman413
Drifting

Chris, you are still missing suspension, recaros/gt3 seats etc etc
Old 10-24-2004, 01:37 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by icerbofh
Jauder,

And you: hybrid turbos, zero clearance please. A trailer, and a tow vehicle. Then you can start with your Radicals or Caterhams. Darn, your list is getting shorter.

CP
Old 10-24-2004, 02:03 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

On the Fabseed bypasses... I bought mine used, and they were quite shiney, inside and out. A year later and they are still shiney, even on the inside. I'm a bit surprised about how clean the exhaust seems to be on the TT. Anybody else notice this?
Old 10-24-2004, 04:03 PM
No Substitute
Advanced

CHA-CHING!!!!!!! I'll get there.....
Old 11-01-2004, 11:34 PM
No Substitute
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rob 97 993c2
no subsititute -
is the LWF/gt2 clutch useable in urban areas - like nyc?? im thinking of it for when i need a new clutch, but am a little scared as i dont want to have it be very noisy or rattley or stalling when i have to ride the clutch as 'jose stops a taxi in front of me' and other city driving situations.
Rob, well I have about 500 miles on it and the jury is still out on the urban driving thing. It chatters a lot less now in first gear take-offs, but reverse is still bad. I have a pretty good handle on taking off without stalling, but still do occassionally.Take-offs are becoming more"mindless" but still require attention. Hills are a bitch. I actually have used the handbrake to facilitate a safe and smooth take-off. Something I haven't had to do for 33 years! I'll keep you posted...
Old 11-02-2004, 07:11 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Chris
Just to get this clear, what components are in the clutch kit you have - I can't believe its a "GT2" kit as you say since these are like stock to use. Is the disc one of those organic one side, carbon buttons sprung items which VB is marketing.
Thanks
Old 11-02-2004, 09:54 AM
No Substitute
Advanced

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Chris
Just to get this clear, what components are in the clutch kit you have - I can't believe its a "GT2" kit as you say since these are like stock to use. Is the disc one of those organic one side, carbon buttons sprung items which VB is marketing.
Thanks
Viper Bob has the clutch disc made up special. It is Raybestos organic if I'm not mistaken. The PP is a Sachs racing unit. Everyone refers to it as a "GT-2" kit, but I believe it has only a distant relation to an actually GT-2 clutch set-up. To be sure to get the correct answer you should talk to Bob about this because I don't want to misinform you.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:54 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

chris-
thanks for keeping me in mind.
let me know how you are making out .. im very interested and you can understand my concern for getting this upgrade and then having an impatient cab driver hit my rear bumper b/c i stalled ... somehow empathy for driving performance cars in nyc really is not very high .. go figure!!

Btw, i drove a friends 993TT with crazy upgrades (600hp, etc) that had a GT2 clutch and lightweight flywheel .. i was shocked at how easy it was to operate .. as easy as stock.. no chatter, no stalling, fine in reverse... but, im not sure exactly what he had in there.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:30 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

I have a GT2 clutch that has been modified with 20% more clamping force and a LWF and it engages like a stock unit. If its engages like it has a hair trigger, you have a race disc with agressive friction material. GT2 units start to give up the ghost with torque levels at around 525-540 lbs ft. If its chattering, its not a GT2 clutch with a Porsche part number.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:17 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

JJB - Sachs labels their highest pressure plate setup for the 911ish cars as a GT2. In 2004 they increased the rating to 1100nm or almost 800 lb-ft. This was about a 20% increase from their previous GT2 setup. The discs used have a sprung hub with organic material on one side and carbon on the other. The carbon does break in rather quickly and it is as tame as a stock setup, but with much better holding capability. You can use the stock RS type clutch disc, but it will tend to start slipping if the car starts crossing the 500 HP range. I have the same setup in my own car and have no issues now with any slippage, and for the street it is a gentle as a pussycat. I actually wish that the clutch pedal was a little tougher to operate. It is too easy for my taste.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:25 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Bob,
Thank you for the info, thought that the Sachs piece was an FVD aftermarket pressure plate.
Are you going to be a Willow Springs this weekend?
Old 11-05-2004, 01:45 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had my car at Big Willow and 2 instructors stalled it trying to get it on the track which was pretty funny.
I'm used to driving the car now, probably 7000 miles with the LWF and as long as you are careful, no real issue at all.
Jauder, I seriously would not have people driving your car on the track unless they're notably competent in a 993 Turbo. Your car really is very quick now and deceptively so. I don't want to see this one sold to "Mr G. Uardrail" ... : )

Quick Reply: Viper Bob clutch installed, just picked up car!!