Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004 | 08:10 PM
rinlv1
Rennlist Member

Default HID problem

I'm having a problem with my headlights and wondering if anyone has a idea on a remedy.

When i turn my engine on and the lights, the passenger side headlight does not come on. But when i turn the switch on and off several times than the light flickers on. Then it stays on fine...

It's annoying and a little embaressing when i have the car valet'ed at a resturant or such....

I thought maybe the light bulb is bad but to find out the light bulb is like $300/pair but when i researched a bit the HID/xenon is said to last lifetime of the car.....

i'm thinking maybe it's the ballata but what does this thing really do anyway...

Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ray
Old 09-28-2004 | 12:09 AM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sometimes the connection can be just loose enough to cause your symptoms. Use the lever in the trunk to remove the headlight bucket, then press it firmly back into place. If necessary, you can use a small piece of wood or plastic to brace up the connector on the fender so better contact is made. A final solution would be to remove the inner fender and press the fender connector forward onto the headlight connector.
Old 10-01-2004 | 04:21 AM
AndyGlaister
Intermediate

Sounds like the balast to me - there are two balasts per light, you should try swapping the components from left to right untilll the flicking light moves - then replace that component. Swapping the balasts is not that difficult and it will let you know whats wrong. I had a bad balast for about 2 months and about 2 years later that bulb went as well - I think the flicking really shortens the bulbs life, so I would fix it quick.

Andy.

Quick Reply: HID problem