Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kenny Bräck is back on the track. Now in a Porsche...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 10:51 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Kenny Bräck is back on the track. Now in a Porsche...

I'm posting this first in the 993 Turbo forum since this is my "home forum".

This weekend was the final racing weekend for the major racing series here in Sweden. It took place at Mantorp Ring, an old F1 race track.

One of the major attractions is Carrera Cup. From time to time, they invite famous racedrivers as VIP drivers to compete with the rest of the field. This is done with Porsches own official racecar. So far they had:

Mika Häkkinen - Two times World Champion Formula One.
Jens Edman - Toyota Castrol Racing in DTC
Stefan Johansson - Former Formule One driver for McLaren and Ferrari, and Lemans winner in a Porsche.
Tony Richardsson - Captain of World Champions Team in Speedway
Nicola Kiesa - Formula One driver for Minardi
Lars Nielsen - European LeMans series driver

This weekend at the finals, probably one of the top major race drivers in the world made his comeback to the racetrack in the VIP car of Porsche. It was Kenny Bräck, INDY 500 Champion and CART driver. Kenny had a horrific crash last year in October when his tried to pass Tomas Scheckter. He flew into the wall in 220 mph and broke almost everything there is to brake except (I think it was) his left arm.

So in short terms. I was quite excited to see how good he was on the race track. Jumping in to Porsche for the first time, on a track you haven't seen for 12 years can be quite a challenge. My worries where quickly erased when he qualified to pole position. Later on, during the races he finished 5th both times. A little chat with some of the mechanics, and they explained that his front spoiler after a bump wasn't as should be and it made the car unstable.

Still quite amazing as it seemed to be completly impossible to brake so late as he did. Gotta say he was a little bit to quick on the gas a few times out of the cruves as his tail got a bit slippery at a certain hairpin at the track.

Anyway, it was a great weekend and I've attached some pictures.
1.) I found a perfect spot to park. Right next to this nice yellow thing....
2.) The new MG XPower SV available from 326 bhp to 430+ bhp
3.) Kenny inside the Porsche Stable..
4.) Winner of the series, Robin Rudholms car.
5.) Warm-up, Kennys GT3 in the middle.
6.) Kenny in fight for second place
7.) Jenna Brorsson (Think thats her name?). For all of you that think blonde good looking women can't drive. She's one of the Carrera Cup drivers. She might not be in the top position fights, but she sure is a good race driver!

Well, thats all for now. Racing season is finished over here and all I can enjoy for now is a few more track days. After that the fall will be over and winter will be at my doorstep.

Cheers!
Old 09-20-2004, 12:51 PM
Morty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read somewhere that Kenny tought the Cup car was like a "propeller plane" compared to his normal "jet figher"...
Old 09-20-2004, 02:49 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Sounds like it must have been a lot of fun. Surprised there were no rallye drivers, knowing how many good ones you have.
Great pics.
Jean
Old 09-20-2004, 04:12 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

who is that lady driver?
Old 09-20-2004, 07:12 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Her name is Jenna Brorsson, and she races a GT3 Cup sponsored by a Porsche Center. I don't really know much more than that. I was just glad to see a female driver, who looks and acts just as a woman and still being able to do some serious driving.

Friend of mine that races a GT3 Cup, but in SLC (endurance) and S60 Challenge (Volvo) series tried to keep up with her on the practice this weekend. His GT3 got a different setup, Yokohama tires ment to last much longer and also normal Bilsteins instead of Öhlins. This was enough for her to leave him behind, and he's one of the top drivers in his class.

Last edited by Rassel; 09-21-2004 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:26 PM
yongster
Racer

Jenna
Old 09-21-2004, 10:41 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Jenna Brorsson = Dream date!

Quick Reply: Kenny Bräck is back on the track. Now in a Porsche...