Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello from a newbie! Mechanic in Atlanta??

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 02:21 AM
No Substitute
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from a newbie! Mechanic in Atlanta??

Just wanted to drop in and say hi, and I'm in the process of subscribing here. I just traded an '02 Z06 on a '96 993 TT for my birthday(I needed an excuse!). I have owned hundreds of cars but never a Porsche. After the trip back from Houston last weekend to get the 993, all that kept popping into my head was: What was I thinking all these years?!!?? I completed a solo trip of 1650 miles to Houston and back in 23 hours. I had intended to stay overnight and drive back the next day, but when I got behind the wheel of my new(to me) Porsche, I could not stop driving! During my trip I discovered when I had the chance to spool up the turbos that my clutch was slipping. Thanks to this forum I have found the info I need and parts suppliers I will be needing. (Aside to Bob, I smell some Fabspeed eliminators coming as soon as I get this clutch situation straightened out) The dealer where I bought the car is buying me a replacement clutch kit from Porsche, and we'll see about the flywheel when when the car is torn down. I'm paying the labor. The car is a one owner with 107k. It is in impeccable condition for the miles, and nicely optioned. Today, I had the emissions test done and passed, but failed the OBD-II ready test. Thanks again to this forum for calming my angst and showing me how I can hopefully overcome this problem. Even with these setbacks I still want to have carnal knowledge of this car every time I look at it, and even moreso when I get behind the wheel( and I can't spool up more than 3 bars without the clutch slipping!). Now, does anyone know of an outstanding, fairly priced, honest Porsche mechanic in the Atlanta area??? Thanks in advance...
Old 09-16-2004, 03:09 AM
mkhn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you getting a lightened flywheel and clutch? Sorry for not answering you're question as I'm on the west coast, but a bunch of Rennlisters have taken opportunities during maintenance to add nice mods
Old 09-16-2004, 12:05 PM
krichard
Instructor

Funny you posted here. I'm the guy that was in the process of purchasing that car when your sales guy put up the buy it now for you. I had been working with David for a couple days on the deal and I guess Paul was working with you on one at the same time. I actually glad you got. Good luck with you car it is a beauty.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:57 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

This is a bit roundabout, but there is a place called T3 in Atlanta that does world class work on Infiniti cars. They are so honest that people will travel 1000 miles to get their work done there. I would call them and ask for a lead on your Porsche wrench. If they recommend someone, you can take it to the bank.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:47 PM
No Substitute
Advanced

Mike,
What I want is to get Bob's GT2 clutch and LW flywheel package, but I am at the mercy of the dealer I purchased from, and of course he wants to remedy the situation as cheaply as possible. So far he says he will pay for a factory orig replacement clutch, and the flywheel decision will be the same way depending on condition after inspection. Most people I have talked to, or threads I have read indicate you will have to replace the flywheel, but once again this is not only my decision.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:18 PM
No Substitute
Advanced

Originally Posted by krichard
Funny you posted here. I'm the guy that was in the process of purchasing that car when your sales guy put up the buy it now for you. I had been working with David for a couple days on the deal and I guess Paul was working with you on one at the same time. I actually glad you got. Good luck with you car it is a beauty.
Kerry, Thanks for your goodwill !! I have been the one who has lost a great deal umpteen times by a few minutes, so when the situation was reversed I felt it was meant to be. Actually, the buy it now was mysteriously missing right before I went to hit that famous ebay button, and Paul had to have it reloaded. I guess this was when you were out on a test drive. When I drove the car, it was during rush hour, I never got out of 2nd or over 3 bars. It wasn't until I was a third of the way home that I stood on it in third and kissed the clutch's grip goodbye. Disappointing, but certainly not devastating. I stopped in Beaumont to check the oil because the guage was reading low, only to pull the dipstick to find there was just a dipstick handle, no dipstick. I added 2 quarts and checked the guage again. I'm guessing according to the records that it hadn't been checked since the oil change 3k miles previous. I have traveled about 800 miles since and it doesn't appear to need any yet. I will get a dipstick...thank the Porsche Gods for that guage though. All else seems to be fine with the car, outside of my litttle emissions battle. I'll keep you posted on my progress, Chris
Old 09-16-2004, 03:22 PM
No Substitute
Advanced

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
This is a bit roundabout, but there is a place called T3 in Atlanta that does world class work on Infiniti cars. They are so honest that people will travel 1000 miles to get their work done there. I would call them and ask for a lead on your Porsche wrench. If they recommend someone, you can take it to the bank.
A great idea! I am familiar with T3, and their reputation. Thanks for the input, Chris
Old 09-16-2004, 03:23 PM
krichard
Instructor

I noticed the low oil and clutch slipping when I test drove the car. Kinda wierd that a shop that specializes in highline cars would overlook the low oil. At the price even with the clutch replacement you still got a hell of a deal. Let see some pics man what are you thinking!!!
Old 09-16-2004, 03:32 PM
No Substitute
Advanced

Someone may have tryed, but the dipstick situation may have put a quick end to that! I'll get it all sorted in a little time
Old 09-16-2004, 03:34 PM
No Substitute
Advanced

I'll get some pics after this hurricane passes. Hopefully before the next one hits!

Quick Reply: Hello from a newbie! Mechanic in Atlanta??