Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failed smog check due to OBDII

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 02:35 AM
dr kenneth e garchow
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i have had two 96 993's one C4S and one twin turbo. both failed the first deq in my state untill i reset the codes by using the driving procedure out lined in this forum. took a co-pilot w/me to help follow the directions exactly. after the drive (about 20 min) took straight to deq and they passed.

boy was i happy, my porsche dealer wanted $480 to reset the codes and said i took 4 hr of having a tech driving my car around to do it.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:36 AM
No Substitute
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too have just been through emissions hell. Same story but with a different solution. The 2 Porsche dealers in Atlanta wiil do their secret drive cycle with I believe "The Hammer" and get the car to show OBD-II readiness. They charge a flat fee of $200.00. I tryed every drive cycle under the sun, including getting pulled over for eratic driving, and finally forked over the cash. I live about 50 miles from the dealerships, and just to avoid any problems, once they readied the OBD-II, I said please take it up the street and get it emissions tested, I would pay the fee again rather than chance going all the way home to the original test station for the free re-test. They did, and it still didn't pass....they only completed one drive cycle and needed to complete two. I am so happy I had the car re-tested near the dealership!!! They did drive cycle #2 and than the car passed. All tallied: about 8 hours of my time and $250.00 to pass emissions. Can't wait til next year!!!
Old 10-06-2004, 01:19 AM
dr kenneth e garchow
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default good thinking regarding the testing before you left,

dont let your battery go dead this winter!!
Old 10-06-2004, 12:45 PM
No Substitute
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to get a clutch installed as soon as all the parts arrive from Viper Bob, so the battery will be disconnected and I will have to deal with this all over again next year. I'll worry about that when the time comes....one problem at a time!
Old 10-06-2004, 03:26 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Can this problem be avoided by using one of those little adapters that let you plug a 9V battery into the lighter to help keep the radio (and presumably DME) memory? Seen 'em advertised but never tried one.

D
Old 10-06-2004, 04:24 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts

I had the same problem with my C4S when I had the battery reconnected (for the wiring harness recall). After unsuccessfully trying to reset the codes myself, I went to my local P-car dealer and they did it for me. After the codes were reset the car passed smog with ease.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:00 AM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, what an informative post. Makes me glad to support Rennlist...
Old 10-07-2004, 02:08 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 294 Likes on 173 Posts

Readiness code issues can also come from an ECU swap.(aside from the battery disconnect) Since the ECU stores the readiness codes swapping would reset them. Audi S4 has the same issues, readiness codes were never resetable with the rosstech vag com tool or a dealer tool. You just had to drive the car around till you got all 6 or 8 of them. (i forget how many) The advantage with vag-com was you could look at the readiness codes and see which ones were passing or failing on the fly.

Quick Reply: Failed smog check due to OBDII