Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 04:52 AM
nzst205
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Steering Wheel Question

As a new owner of a 993 bi-turbo I find the lack of telescopic steering wheel as frustratring as my 86 930 was. On the 930 it was a simple matter of replacing the original wheel with a Momo and a 2" spacer. Not so easy on the 993 because of the airbag.

This must be a problem others have encountered! Perhaps there's a source of airbag wheels to fit 993's that can be extened out with a spacer? perhaps installing the tele unit of a 996? Also wish to reduce the dia, these wheels are like they're off a bus! Any ideas suggestions welcomed. Not keen on doing away with airbag as I think they're a good feature.

John Allen

Old 07-19-2004, 11:49 AM
jebia
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mounted my AJ USA 930 non air bag turbo wheel (same mount as a momo) to my car. This wheel did not have the 2" spacer mount, but it mounts the same way.

All you have to do is remove the old wheel and airbag. Use a spacer (a couple of large flattened lock washers will do) to gain the necessary clearence on the steering column behind the wheel and re-use the orginal curved washer and steering coulm nut. I also trimmed the black steering column plastic cover a bit (way behind the wheel, so you don't see it with either the aj wheel or the factory one) which a dremel tool (a slight rub was occuring).

I can now either use my nice leather AJ wheel or my really neet momo suede wheel (nice and grippy).

Unless you install the "airbag connected" fooling resistor, you'll generate a cel light every time you start your car (re-setable with the console switch, but still a pain), so I just pulled the bulb from the cel idiot light.

I have a odbii code checker and from time to time I check codes just to be sure nothing else is set. I don't believe in those cel idiot lights to begin with (I've there is a serious problem, you should be able to notice it via the feel of the car).

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Question