Sponsored by:

Muffler bipass

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 06:32 PM
grcdvm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler bipass

I am considering the Fabspeed muffler bi-pass. I have B&B headers and mufflers at this point with stock cats. I am interested in what performance increase may be gained, and how much more noise the muffler bi-pass system creates, and if some find it a bit much. Thanks guys
Old 07-09-2004, 06:46 PM
Seljan
Pro

Default Re: Muffler bipass

Originally posted by grcdvm
I am considering the Fabspeed muffler bi-pass. I have B&B headers and mufflers at this point with stock cats. I am interested in what performance increase may be gained, and how much more noise the muffler bi-pass system creates, and if some find it a bit much. Thanks guys
I have the Fabspeeds on my Turbo.They clearly add a noticeable level of performance.I find myself running out of first gear much quicker.

The sound is incredible,although my neighbors may not agree with that..They are quite loud.My wife tells me,that in the morning when I take the turbo to the office she can hear me for at least 4-5 minutes as I weave my way through the subdivision.

If I were to do it again..i would get them again.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:53 PM
mkhn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Muffler bipass

If I were to do it again..i would get them again. [/B]
I just ordered my set from Viperbob!! I can't wait
Old 07-09-2004, 06:57 PM
Seljan
Pro

Default Re: Re: Re: Muffler bipass

Originally posted by mkhn
I just ordered my set from Viperbob!! I can't wait
They are real easy to put on.The hardest part was getting the old mufflers off.You need to get the rearend of the car pretty high up off the ground to slip the mufflers off.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:35 PM
mkhn
Addict
Rennlist Member

I plan on just jacking up the rear end. Just to be sure, do I need to place my hydraulic jack underneath the engine first, lift the car and then place the jacks at both rear jack points just in front of the rear wheels?
How high did you have to get the car off the ground and are there any special tools you need to undo the fasteners?
Old 07-09-2004, 07:44 PM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

Does anyone know if you can still use your stock oval exhaust tips?
THIA
Old 07-09-2004, 07:51 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

The fabspeed bypass pipes already include the tips. You can't use the oval tips with the fabspeed bypass pipes.

Also, you don't really need to jack up the car. You can do it without jacking it up. But it makes it easier. Makes it even easier if you want to take off the rear wheels too.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:05 PM
rich993t
Advanced

Any chance you guys can elaborate on the procedure-anything to look out for when fitting them.
Ive been meaning to do this for a while now.
I was talking to a guy in the Porsche club GB, who wants to fit these as well , and it would be great to pass on any useful info.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:53 PM
gooseNSJ4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Re: Muffler bipass

Originally posted by grcdvm
Little getting use to the great sound, but you are going to love it! You will have a permanent grin of satisfaction on your face to go with a bit of embarrassment ( only for the first few days) because everyone will hear you and look at you!!!!!! To loud no way, besides your Turbos will serve as a mufflers, and you will get better spool-up from get go.

Good luck!

P.S. Definitely get home before kids go to sleep, unless you do not mind pushing your car into the garage. Everything in the house will tremble at your arrival.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:58 PM
Seljan
Pro

You will also find yourself looking for bridges and tunnels where you can jump on it Even passing a long row of cars in the other lane sounds good.

In the morning when you warm it up,,it sounds a lot like a Chris-craft!
Old 07-09-2004, 09:05 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Even a doofus (that would be me) can install the bypasses. Remove the clamp that holds the muffler to the cat-pipe. Remove the long strap-clamp around the muffler. drag the muffler out. reuse the clamp and put the bypass on. adjust height, etc, to suit. do other side.

The bypass is pretty loud with a cold start when the airpump is running. After the car warms up a tiny bit, you'll wonder why we ever had those stupid mufflers on the car.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:09 PM
mkhn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Do the tips go on straight pretty easily? I thought I saw a post from way back where some folks couldn't get the tips to point out correctly.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:12 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Mike,

Even Turbolicious will be happy with the Fabspeed tips. Mine are very straight, and tucked up pretty tight. My choice... I could adjust them to be a little lower. I had no problems making them look right, and I am the doofus emeritus.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:25 PM
mkhn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Steve...as a fellow doofus graduate, I need the encouragement. I cant wait to fire her up the first time without her "silencers".

Quick Reply: Muffler bipass