Sponsored by:

Turbo rebuild and other repairs

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2024, 12:46 PM
solaris7
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Turbo rebuild and other repairs

Continuing on with my 1996 993 Turbo restoration, previously I sourced an AC compressor bracket from Porsche Passion in France. Now that the engine is out of the car, we've identified a few issues that I would like to share and get some feedback on. The car has about 54,000 miles, and according to some maintenance records, the top end was rebuilt before the car was sold. The car was previously tracked and has a Moton suspension. It has mostly been sitting for 6-7 years with minimal driving since then.

Here are the issues we've identified:

1. **Distributor Cap**: There is oil inside the distributor cap. It seems like a rebuild is necessary.

2. **Turbo**: The right-side turbo has a slightly loose shaft with about 1mm to 1.5mm of play, indicating the need for a rebuild. The left-side turbo has minimal play, but it's recommended to rebuild both.

3. **Crankcase Housing**: There is an oil leak from the crankcase housing that needs to be addressed.

4. **Power Steering**: The power steering doesn't seem to work. Initially, we thought the car didn't have power steering, but it does. The steering operates as if there's no power assistance, so a rebuild is needed.

5. **Clutch**: The car has a lightweight clutch and stalls when attempting to start. It only remains idling if the gas pedal is slightly pressed for about 5 minutes. Would switching to a stock clutch and flywheel resolve this issue?

6. **Turbo Oil Lines**: The car still has its stock oil turbo lines. The AC bracket includes a turbo oil pump that circulates oil back into the engine from these lines. It appears that 996tt/997tt oil lines, which have a P-trap design, can work with this engine to prevent oil from returning to the turbos.

7. **Oil Filter**: The car currently has an aftermarket oil filter. I plan to install a genuine Porsche oil filter to prevent oil blowback into the turbo after engine shutdown.

8. **Engine Mounts**: The car has stiff aftermarket engine mounts, which I plan to revert back to stock.

Any comments, suggestions, and feedback on these repairs would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Solaris

Last edited by solaris7; 07-27-2024 at 12:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Scott Dunavant (08-25-2024)
Old 07-28-2024, 09:15 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 187 Posts

4. **Power Steering** On such a low mileage car, a PS rebuild would be unusual. Have you confirmed the gear drive to power the pump is working properly? Have you inspected the steering rack of leaks (much more common for a rack rebuild).

5. **Clutch**: Not thinking that is the root cause. The typical NA LWF symptom is stall from lift off of throttle while driving (sto[ing a a traffic light, etc.). Have not read of issues in stock DME applications of LWF that starting / idle was an issue, so thinking there my be more to that cold start idle problem than just a LWF.

6. **Turbo Oil Lines** A recommended upgrade for sure. And be diligent once rebuilt to do the 30-sec idle cool down before shutting off.

7. **Oil Filter** YES! But be diligent with getting the proper filter, there has been a recent thread on the OEM changes to original Porsche Parts from dealers that has some concerned.

​​​​​​​Congrats on the journey, enjoy!

Old 08-03-2024, 03:36 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 307 Likes on 205 Posts

Old 08-08-2024, 12:58 PM
TurboIXXI
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

@solaris7 What was included in the top end repair receipts? Just wondering the current cost for a top end refresh.

Were the hydraulic lifters replaced?
Old 08-11-2024, 01:01 PM
JEllis
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I would consider the S.CAR.GO intercooler pipes. They are much more robust than OEM and a much easier install with the engine out.
The following users liked this post:
TurboIXXI (08-12-2024)

Quick Reply: Turbo rebuild and other repairs