Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a "correct" order for mods?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 05:27 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 520 Posts
Default Is there a "correct" order for mods?

I added the fabspeed muffler bypass pipes last month and now I've got the fever (serves me right for saying "why would I need any more power" when I bought my car).

Is there a correct sequence of engine mods when doing it all at once? I would like to eventually get a new ECU and know it is better to work closely with one tuner to get the best results, but I want to to it a little at a time - oil cooler, intercooler, turbos, ECU, etc.

Any help would be appreciated
Old 06-26-2004, 06:55 PM
gooseNSJ4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dr. G,
I can recommend Evolution Motorsports, they offer Different stages for power increase from Stage I up to Stage IV (600Hp). You do not need a new ECU, your OEM would be reprogramed and send back to you within 24Hr. However, you do want to program your ECU together with the new Turbos for best performance. S-oil cooler strongly recommended, intrecooler can live with the OEM no need to change it. As you already have started with a exhaust system by getting the Fabspeed bypass, consider changing your "cats" FVD has great high flow (racing cats) and also set of good Headers. So as to say if there is a sequence not really just be cheerful who dose the work if other then Porsche Dealer. Perforable, I would do all at the same time it can save you time, money and most of all aggravation with each time you have to give up your car for day or few.
Word of advise if I may, if you really are going to mod your car start with the best and most power that can be bolted on, as you already found yourself wanting more power. The illness is contagious, and I for one am currently talking to Evo about their Stage IV 600HP, unfortunately I have to ship my car to Arizona for that mod.

Good luck,
Regards,
Old 06-26-2004, 09:03 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

ECU(30hp), short shifter and S oil cooler
Pause and evaluate
Suspension(PSS9, etal)
Pause and evaluate
Hybrid turbos
Pause and evaluate
Old 06-26-2004, 09:18 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Have you looked at www.993tt.com? Great mod information.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:59 PM
gooseNSJ4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Short shifter, not worth the money or the trouble.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:41 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is the way I am doing it, niether right or wrong just the way stuff happened to me.
1. hated the no noise thing got fabspeed bypasses
2. Suspension was shot (so is your if you have more than25 K miles
did the PSS9's- Biller divertet valve-BMC airfilter.
3. 480 HP ECU program/ only with 100 oct though, so realistically I thinks its at 440 right now.
4. I just did the wheels (but thats probably gonna slow me ) Roocks.
5. Oil cooler- no way I am paying $2k for something I can get on the web for $100-$200 and plumb myself in fact the bumper comes off tonite to study installation.
6. I am gonna have Kevin do my turbos when mine die. +reprogram the ECU for the new parts- with this I may have to get a fuel pressure regulator
7. Next would be the intercooler but since theyre $5K I may stop at point 6
I may look to build one myslef if I can get an idea how to do it
SHould be at this point around 600hp
THen your done unless you go inside the motor..

I am looking at a mister hoop to put on top of my intercooler and blow NOS on it as per Kevins design but I dont want to give up my back seat. We'll see
I am currently on step 5.
Hope this helps and talk to Viper Bob hes got some good info.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:06 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Dr. G

I would do it all at once if you have the budget. Decide your objective and HP goal, search A LOT for a tuner you trust and feel comfortable with and buy a full kit from him. There is a lot of good advise on this board.

If you move to 600 hp, expect at LEAST doubling your budget from a 500 hp goal. Bolt-on kits of 600 hp ($12-$16k) will most likely run 1.2 Bar of boost and do not include internal mods nor head work, which are critical for performance and reliability on these engines..

OG, IMHO if you are planning to get even close to the 600 hp mark, you should consider rods, head work, head sealing and/or good fasteners, it seems to be the consensus of all builders I spoke to from Europe to the US. You can avoid it but at the expense of expensive rebuilds.

Jean

Last edited by Jean; 06-27-2004 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:48 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Jean you make a good point. I may aim at the 550 mark. from what I read here the only way to get to 600 is to buy the big ole $5k intercooler. I mistakenly said 600 when I meant the 550, since it was late last nite when I posted. I agree that in the 600 area you need to get internal. but as Jean said Doc there are a million threads on this.

Quick Reply: Is there a "correct" order for mods?