Another Scam?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 01:55 PM
ientre9y11
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Scam?

Saw this car advertised for $55K which seemed too low.

http://www.carsdirect.com/used_cars/...&zipcode=85258

D&M Motorsports in Illinois appears to have the same car for sale for $73K.

Contacted the purported seller, said D&M was his father, he is in England, wants proof of funds, blah, blah, blah.

I was thinking of writing him back, telling him I am connected with the Nigerian gov't and need his help to get $25 million deposited into a US bank account. Maybe he will send me some money!
Old 06-18-2004, 11:00 AM
mdd
Instructor

Well, it sure smells like a scam to me. He wants me to wire $4-5K before he will answer any of my basic questions. It's funny what he said about "can't trust anybody on the internet". Here is my email exchange with the guy.

Hi,
i am in Uk for the moment ...so i told i want an insurance from u that u r serious.....i will answer your questions if u will agree with:
Put some money trough western on a name that u choose or even ur name....money arround 4000-5000$...so i can verrify them on-line and this way i can see that u have the money.....i know that u will lose some money to western but if u r really interested i think that u afford this! because if i will return from Uk for you and u will not be there.....it is my money and my time lost...
hope u will understand me..
if u agree with the above method i will pls send me a reply so i can answer to all ur questions....
I hope u understand me sir, because i can't trust anybody from the internet,no?
reply me with a decision

"Doyle, Mark" <xx.com> wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Who and where is the nearest Porsche dealer to your place in Maine? Where was the 30K service performed? What airport would be the best to fly into? What type of insurance do you want to prove that I am a qualified buyer? The money for my new car purchase is sitting in my checking account waiting for the right car. There will be no problems paying in full for the right car.
Has the car been driven much on salted roads? Is there any corrosion due to the winter conditions? Please answer the questions in my previous email.

“What is your best cash price for the car? What specifically was performed at the 30K mile service? Could you send a copy of the service invoice?”

Thanks,
Mark

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 5:24 PM
To: Doyle, Mark
Subject: Re: Question for seller - 1997 Porsche 911 on CarsDirect.com

hi,
sorry but i'm in UK for at least 2 months and the car is at my place (Greenville ME) but we can arrange an inspection if u'll give me an insurance that u have the money to buy it because i cannot come back to US for a joke losing money and time no?
if u'll give me an insurance i'll be back to US in 2-3 days and we'll meet for the inspection test drive and the other things that u want!
waiting for reply
regards

"Doyle, Mark" <xx.com> wrote:

Hi Angelo,
I am interested in the ’97 993TT that you have for sale and would like to arrange for an inspection. Where is the car located? What is your best cash price for the car? What specifically was performed at the 30K mile service? Could you send a copy of the service invoice?
Thanks,
Mark
Old 06-18-2004, 01:14 PM
flatair
Racer

I say we ALL email him telling him we'll wire him money right away and get him really excited...
Old 06-19-2004, 02:50 PM
ientre9y11
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good idea! I'll send him some more e-mails to tease him a bit.

Quick Reply: Another Scam?