Sponsored by:

Belt burning smell correlation with power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 01:13 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Belt burning smell correlation with power steering pump

Hello, sorry it's been a while since last post. Can anyone chime in on a couple of problems I am having as of late? Car has been making a screeching noise that sounded like a pulley for the last month (just about 4 short rides to work). But today a burning rubber smell came through the ventilation system. This smell was so significant I turned around immediately to return home after driving less than a mile. Then when I was pulling into the garage a bunch of idiot lights came on ...anti-lock, battery, ABO, ABD (what are these last two anyway?).
So logic would dictate of course unfortunately that the alternator could be seizing up. Like most everyone else I keep it on a trickle charge so it's no wonder she started but then maybe couldn't sense any charging so threw all those lights. Let me know if I am off on the alternator assumption.

But my real question was that my power steering rack was leaking and ran dry-ish sufficient to provide no steering or clutch assist. Realizing I would need a re-build I figured it couldn't hurt to put in some AT-205; it stopped the leak. I just did that a month ago about the same time the screeching started . Could be a correlation between the two? It's just strange that really nothing ever breaks on her. She's been bullet-proof for 10+ years but now two kinda major problems at once?. I will take the inter-cooler off when I get home from work and poke around a bit. Thanks very much for thinking.
-Joe
Old 12-05-2023, 10:43 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Burning smell and all the lights coming on usually just means a broken belt… would correlate with the noise!

Don’t know anything about AT-205. The hydraulic pump runs off a toothed belt off the cam shaft pulley at the front passenger side of the engine. Don’t think it can screech.

Old 12-06-2023, 11:59 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you. Indeed alternator belt snapped. Strange, these are Porsche brand belts and have only seen about 1000 miles max of driving. BUT they are 11 years old though.....ha.

Last question......this doesn't look too difficult for me to change? Are there any tricks that I'm not seeing?
I have watched a YouTube video so that makes me ASE certified right?

Joe
Old 12-06-2023, 11:10 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Oh they are actually a pain… here’s some ideas..
the AC belt is straight forward, the alternator belt little more tricky but not that hard, now the fan belt is the one that is a pain.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=28499

i eventually changed to a clewett serpentine
https://www.clewett.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=135
Haven’t had a break since, but the spring loaded tensioner makes replacements easy

Last edited by Basal Skull; 12-06-2023 at 11:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Belt burning smell correlation with power steering pump