Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which to buy, testarossa or 993 turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 03:07 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default which to buy, testarossa or 993 turbo...

I'm a long time porsche owner, and I love the cars. Had a 76 911s, sc, 944 turbo, 99 996, 00 boxter s. I would love a 993 turbo and will be looking soon. Prices still seem to be in the 65-70k range, and I was wondering...

For 50k I can get an 87-89 testarossa. I love the way the car looks, but I know they are a maintenance nightmare. I know that at some point in my life I MUST own at least 1 ferrari. I know its much slower than a 993 turbo, but the looks are intoxicating. Also, I have been disappointed with porsche build quality with the 996/boxter models...the interior is just plain disappointing.

Anyone here bought a ferrari? Comments? Were you disappointed? Was it it "worth it"? I don't plan to use the car on the track, its really just a weekend distraction...cheaper than a psychiatrist!?

Anyone here go from a ferrari to a porsche?

Any input appreciated. I'm sure that at this price level many of us have thought about it...what helped your decision?
Old 05-26-2004, 03:28 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

7 hits already and no replies...no one ever thought about a ferrari, heh?
No lambor-gin-eeeeee lovers either...?
Old 05-26-2004, 03:42 PM
flatair
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should check out ferrarichat.com, they're a great ferrari forum with alot of people who could answer your questions regarding testarossa reliability. IMHO, the 993 turbo is one of the all time great all stars and unbeatable except for maybe on the terms of being an exotic. The testarossa will turn heads, make loooovely noises (better than 993 turbo), and give you that driving experience you could only get in a Ferrari - so in other words, it depends on whether you like apples or oranges?

Brad
Old 05-26-2004, 04:00 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

It would be great to OWN a testarossa, but the 993TT is the better car to DRIVE. This is the way I felt about my Austin Healey 3000... I loved OWNING it, but hated DRIVING it.

Fun choices. Good luck
Old 05-26-2004, 05:33 PM
gooseNSJ4
Addict
Rennlist Member

I personally do not own a Ferrari, although I do own a 12 Cylinder exotic car which I rather not mention here. Never-less, my friend has a 575M Maranello with the F1 gear box. Beautiful car, definitely head turned where ever he goes, BUT!!!!! what a mechanical nightmare, he envies my TT and wishes he never bought the Ferrari, in fact he is seriously entertaining trading his car for a Porsche or something else. Well, I do not know if this will help you in your decision making process. Ferraris only look great, but that's all she wrote.

Regards,
Old 05-26-2004, 08:08 PM
Careener
Instructor

I had an '84 Ferrari 512BBi (Boxer), all red with black interior. I loved its looks more than just about any other car I've ever seen -- in fact, I about craned my neck every time I walked away fom it because I kept looking back to see it. Its 12 cylinder sounded so beautiful that I always drove with the windows down and never turned on the radio. It wasn't blisteringly fast (340 hp) but would scoot just fine and cornered extremely well. The car was in beautiful condition and I felt like I was preserving a piece of automotive history. It drew a tremendous amount of attention -- sometimes more than I wanted.

However, even though I pampered the car, things kept breaking. And getting a Ferrari worked on isn't like a Porcshe -- you're lucky if you have even one dealer nearby and it might take you weeks to get it back from even simple things. You'll never leave a shop for less that $2,000 and several things could go wrong that would cost you multiples that amount. I had it three years and it was in the shop for about a third of each year, and I spent $20,000 on repairs (not upgrades). I got to the point that I was wondering what would break next everytime I hopped in it.

I'm glad I had a chance to own my dream car but I finally had enough (sure kept its value well, being 20 years down the depreciation curve). My 993TT is also a great car, but much more civillized (too bad) and reliable (good). A 993tt in flourescent purple wouldn't draw as many stares as a red Boxer.

However, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I always though the Testarossa was butt ugly and never gave thought to owning one.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:12 PM
laurence '97 C4S
Racer

Having owned a Ferrari (which I bought new), I have two observations: i) they are fantastic automobiles and I agree with your view that if possible, you should own one at least once in your life and ii) if money enters into your thinking at all-- do not buy one. By the way, my Ferrari was very reliable, but helliously expense for regular maintenance. Buying a used one you'd better be absolutely certain the car has been maintained. I fear that many older Fcars (that are not out and out collectibles ie 275's or such) are owned by folks who want to own one but really can't afford to maintain them--so they don't.

I've concluded that the only way to own a Ferrari (assuming you want to drive it, as against looking at it in your garage) is to buy it new and sell it when the warranty runs out. Based upon the way you you asked your question, you should look to the Porsche.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:24 PM
Bill (NC)
Racer

The dealer in Greensboro was trying to sell me a Ferrari but I stopped him when he told me a 15,000 mile check was $5,000. $3 a mile is a little much for me, and that was just scheduled maint. And my 993 is much faster than the Ferrari.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:30 PM
TTJunkie

The Testarossa is not a waste of time, only a waste of money. If you have a local Ferrari dealer, and you can take the Testarossa to a dealer before purchase, and the inspection does not reveal any problems, and you can handle another $10,000 over the next year, and you can talk the owner down to a reasonable price ($38K-$40K for an 89 with 10,000 miles), then you can enjoy the Ferrari for a year or so and then sell it. The whole ordeal should not set you back more than $12,000. After which you can buy a real car (and be much happier with it after the Ferrari). But keep in mind, 993 turbos have not be dropping in the last year and a half. If losing $12K puts the TT out of your reach, you'll probably regret owning the Ferrari. If it doesn't put the TT out of reach, I'd do it; just for the sheer pleasure of scootin' around town is such a lovely beast.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:02 PM
Careener
Instructor

If you do decide you want to buy a Ferrari. Get yourself an online subscription to the Ferrari Market Letter (www.ferrarimarketletter.com). That's where most of the cars are listed from private individuals as well as serious dealers. The owner/editor, Gerard Rousch (SP?), keeps a database on all Ferraris by VIN# and you can send him an e-mail asking what he knows about a particular car. He'll give you the information with the caveat that you e-mail him back with observations about the cars you see during your search.

He'll tell you every time in the past a car has been listed for sale in the FML with the posted mileage at that time (won't tell you ask price). He'll also give you any comments he's collected. You might hear that someone else just did a PPI and found a problem, or that the car used to have a cosmetic problem that has gone away -- so something is not original, etc. etc. He may also have zero about the car -- you never know.

Good luck.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:43 PM
scott63
Intermediate

I have owned 2 Ferrari's and I can say that over the course of 2 years, I never had to do anything but change the oil. I owned a 1995 355 as well as a 2003 360 F-1. Both cars were fast and very reliable (much more so than my wife's Volvo). Ferrari reliability is very good if you get a fuel injected car. The maintenance can be expensive on the Testarossa and the 355 because the engine needs to be removed for a 30K service (about $7K for the complete service). Ferrari's have an intangible quality that is often referred to as "soul". I would agree with this. There is also nothing that sounds like an F-car at 8,000 RPM's (think formula one sounds). That being said, I currently own a 993TT and find the car to be very fast and easy to drive.

In terms of price, you will not find a Testarossa in good condition for under $65,000. You will also not get a no stories, no hit 993TT for under $65,000 and will pay a lot more for a car with low miles.

Good Luck
Old 05-27-2004, 05:03 AM
sparetireless
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I have had 8 911's and 2 Ferrari 360's. One of the 911's was 993 tt. The TT is faster, much faster than the 360 and cost 1/3 as much. Probably will not go back to Porsche though, if I do, it would be for a 993 TT only. I have spent about an hour in the testorossa, it sucks big time. Its big, heavy and not very fast, the gear shift is as fun and as easy to shift as a U-Haul. Its not bad in the looks department though. Its hard to get into and out of, and maintenance is a real rip. Its probably fun at high speed in straights. Whatever you do, the Testarossa is not the answer, try a 993 TT or a 360. The new 997 appears to suck a lot less than the 996. Porsche, get you act together!
Old 05-27-2004, 11:10 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by gooseNSJ4
....my friend has a 575M Maranello with the F1 gear box. Beautiful car, definitely head turned where ever he goes, BUT!!!!! what a mechanical nightmare...
Aren't the 550/575s supposed to be one of the most reliable Ferraris?
Old 05-27-2004, 12:38 PM
gooseNSJ4
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree, Porsche has deviated way to far from making cars as fun as the 993TT. The new 997 will be a big disappointment for true Porsche enthusiasts.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:00 PM
AGC
Racer

bpu699,
My brother has owned a 93 348SS and I have owned a 91 Testarossa, which I sold to get the 993TT. You're correct that a Ferrari is a great looking car, but the maintenance on them is extremely high. The 348 was a great car and so was the Testarossa; you will get a lot of attension with them. If I was to buy another Ferrari I would get a 98 or newer 355 or a 360. The 12 Cyl cars are a bit more for maintenance and I just didn't feel the trade off was worth it. I didn't use the Ferrari as much because I was always worried about parking, driveways and breaking down; with the 993TT it is a much easier car to drive and use. I don't get to use my 993TT much now because my son is just turning a year old and I have not taken him in the 993TT yet, but am planning to this summer, this is another bonus for the Porsche (back seats) Call or email me if you want more details.

Quick Reply: which to buy, testarossa or 993 turbo...