993TT Twin Plug Heater Crossover Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 07:53 PM
Matthew Scott
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 993TT Twin Plug Heater Crossover Pipe

Howdy everyone!

I'm looking for a little bit of help, advice, and potentially photos regarding how Andial and Ruf (others, too) dealt with the heater crossover pipe when combined with a twin plug distributor.

I have a 993 C4S that was "converted" to a Turbo using genuine Porsche parts in the 90s by EVOMS and the Porsche North Scottsdale. It was dealer serviced its entire life, and it's a clean machine—my first 993 at 32. I'm a sucker for a project.

Since I've bought it, I've been diving into what parts it needs to finish the "conversion" as there were a few things leftover from the Carrena motor that I wanted to change, like the correct fan and shroud and a few others things.

At the moment the engine is out for a reseal and refreshed turbos, along with a bunch of other modifications (p-trap lines, check vales, that sort of stuff) and one of the areas I'd like to refine is the Carrera heater crossover pipe that EVOMS adapted (in the 90s) to work with the turbo exhaust system.

Being foolish and a little bit hopeful, I bought the OEM Turbo crossover, thinking it would work, and it did not as it hits the 993NA twin distributor. There's not really anything wrong with how EVOMS fabricated the crossover pipe that is on there, but the system is a little bit sloppy, and it has be wondering how RUF and Andial took care of this on their conversions to twin plug.

I've scoured BAT listings and car advertisements trying to get a closer look at how they did it, but the crossover is in a somewhat obscure area and something that's not normally photographed.

Any assistance in the form of photos or advice from the Rennlist crowd would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-03-2023, 11:52 PM
C4Spolar
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Do you have a picture of the heater cross over pipe?
Old 01-04-2023, 12:15 AM
Matthew Scott
Rennlist Member

That would have been a great photo to get when I was at the shop today, so sadly no.
Old 01-04-2023, 11:31 AM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't believe that Ruf twin plugged their 993TT cars but Andial did. That part is really buried when the engine is in the car, otherwise I would take a photo for you. Mine was done by Schneider Autohaus in Santa Barbara. You can check with Henry at Schneider's as they rebuilt many Andial 993TT 3.8 twin plug engines and have experience with that part.
The following users liked this post:
Matthew Scott (01-04-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 02:19 PM
Matthew Scott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bradford
I don't believe that Ruf twin plugged their 993TT cars but Andial did. That part is really buried when the engine is in the car, otherwise I would take a photo for you. Mine was done by Schneider Autohaus in Santa Barbara. You can check with Henry at Schneider's as they rebuilt many Andial 993TT 3.8 twin plug engines and have experience with that part.
thank you!!!
Old 01-07-2023, 10:10 AM
C4Spolar
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Hi Matt.

I used in my 993tt a 3.6 normal aspirated rear thin with an 993 RS heather plastic tube with the nipple that feeds air for the distributor belt. Plenty of clearance for the twin distributor.

Everything is factory, bolt on and no mods and you can revert to single plug turbo.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Matthew Scott (01-08-2023)
Old 01-07-2023, 05:20 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure what your looking for but is it that Aluminum piece in this pic out of my Andial engine ?

Old 01-07-2023, 05:26 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 01-07-2023, 06:16 PM
Matthew Scott
Rennlist Member

Yep, that aluminum piece is the crossover pipe that I’m referring to. I appreciate you posting it.

It confirms that it does have to be modified, and will be a nice reference for people looking to twin plug their turbo engines. Thank you!

I will have an update from my end next week.
Old 01-07-2023, 06:33 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

This piece is modified to clear the twin distributors

Old 01-07-2023, 06:36 PM
Matthew Scott
Rennlist Member

After a lot of searching I found a photo of an Andial twin plug turbo with the modified heater crossover pipe installed. In this instance they have headers without heat exchangers so you’re able to clearly see it.

The images come from this BAT listing: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...al-993-bt-3-8/

Old 01-08-2023, 01:29 AM
Matthew Scott
Rennlist Member

Trying to provide this as a resource for future 993TT twin plug or Carrera conversions retaining the twin plug.

The necessity for altering the heater crossover pipe lies in the differences between the twin plug and single plug distributor and how it effects the position of the heater duct which leads to the heater blower. The larger twin plug distributor necessitates that the heater duct is moved further from the center of the engine due to space constraints. This is best visualized in the differences between the Turbo and Carrera rear engine tins. It appears that Andial moves the intake of the crossover pipe further away from center, approximately 2-3 inches to line up with the Carrera rear engine tin, and henceforth the heater duct which allows the heating system to work.

it would seem easier to modify the turbo crossover pipe, than to modify the Carrera crossover pipe.

With my particular situation I’ve discovered that they modified a Carrera crossover pipe, in conjunction with a custom exhaust, which is causing poor figment and alignment issues where the crossover pipe connects to the exhaust system.

It appears that the best course of action in my case is to have a fabricator modify the turbo crossover pipe in the style of the Andial modified unit.

Hopefully this helps someone.

Last edited by Matthew Scott; 01-08-2023 at 01:32 AM.
Old 01-30-2023, 01:53 PM
Matthew Scott
Rennlist Member

A photo of the Turbo crossover pipe in fabrication.

Quick Reply: 993TT Twin Plug Heater Crossover Pipe