996tt

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 12:42 AM
gooseNSJ4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 996tt

For some time now I was entertaining the idea of buying 996TT, but there is something about this car that is hard to get to like. Maybe, I had the 993TT for too long and come to a self agreeable decision that not too much compares to the 993TT. Help, please tell me that the 996TT is NOT the car to go for.

Thanks.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:57 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

996TT: more aerodynamic shape, bigger interior, stiffer chassis, warranty?, modifyable to higher HP levels
993TT: better looking, rarer, more road feel, better instrumentation

Can't go wrong with either one... which of the above is most important to you?
Old 05-11-2004, 01:10 AM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt.

I thought I had gotten used to my 993TT earlier this year, put it up for sale, and started looking for replacements. I shopped the 996TT very hard two months ago, drove three, two stock, one modded. Prices on pre-owned ones have come down to the level where I bought my 993TT. Chassis is unflappable, the extra length and width of the wheel base helps soak up bumps better, one has to perform karate on the steering wheel at high speed to get the tires unstuck in dry weather, water cooling is simply the best platform for engine temperature control and the stock engine internals and tranny are just fine at high power levels (up to 600hp), auto-deploying rear wing is neat.

Those are the pluses (depending upon your perspective), after that it's all a matter of personal preference. I prefer more noise from the engine and exhaust, vibrations in the cabin, sturdier and more substantial feeling interior materials and controls, and a chuckable chassis. What's your primary use? The 993TT is just as fast in every day situations, including in the twisties and bonzai runs to 100mph. The 996TT is a second or two faster on a track, all things being equal, after that mods could make either car faster than the other on any given day depending upon the driver. Finally, the 993TT has more voluptuous and aggressive exterior lines. The 996, while undoubtedly good looking in the world of sports cars (particularly from behind), is nonetheless slabsided.

Either way, you're lucky to have the choice to make.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:26 AM
gooseNSJ4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good comments. Thanks to both of you. I think the key word is "slabsided"

Chris.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:55 AM
Les Quam
Pro

Someone on this board once asked me if I could keep only one Porsche which would it be.
993 in turbo or naturally aspirated is in my opinion the best all around Porsche yet and that includes my 04 GT 2. For all of the reasons already mentioned.
Yet, not one thing is wrong with 996.

Now here is my weird observation. The 993 and earlier Porsche 964,930 series all smell and feel like a Porsche. They sound to me in every way what a Porsche should sound like. Sometimes I just shut the door of my 993 and sit in the car and soak up the smell and feel. And it gets even weirder. When I have the garage filled with only 993s the whole garage starts to smell like a Porsche. That smell is unique. And yes I understand how weird that sounds.

CAR magazine voted the 993 turbo the best sports car in history.
I agree.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:13 AM
gooseNSJ4
Addict
Rennlist Member

It is frequently unforgettable to sense the feel of well tuned machine with everlasting appreciation for its existence.

Regards.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:46 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,289 Posts
Default Off topic

Les,

Was it always a Cayenne turbo or did you just change that too.

Does the smell change if you throw a 964 or in the mix? What if one was blue?

Quick Reply: 996tt