Valuation help, pls, 96tt

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 03:33 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valuation help, pls, 96tt

Need some pricing help.
96 TT polar/black, 30k. car is clean, interior is clean with a few scratches, 3 owner, all original,no paint, but has been driven, not prestine/concours.

Needs: 30k service, fix/paint scraps on front bumper, new front brake rotors & pads, a few interior seals/bolts, clutch is about 50% worn (no slipping, but higher engage point). PPI was positive given the above.
Very few options: only has cd changer in trunk and aftermarket silver dials.

As my search is limited to silver, it has not been easy, but i dont want to overpay.
i appreciate the input
Old 05-07-2004, 04:45 PM
scott63
Intermediate

I wouldn't worry about the options as they were for appearance only (carbon fiber, aluminum, etc.) In my mind, a pristine 96TT with under 20K miles is worth in the 70's and potentially more. The car you described seems to need $3K worth of work (bumper respray, 30K service, etc). Also given the mileage I would think a number in the $60's would work. Did you have a compression and leakdown test completed? What about the tires? New tires and alignment can run $1200 or so.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:04 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

tires are 90% and wear is good, so probably no alignment.
did not do compression / leakdown, but mechanic was very happy with the say the motor sounded, did not miss, and drove well.
should i do compression/leakdown?
any more thoughts on where inthe 60s?
Am i overpaying at 65?
Old 05-07-2004, 05:05 PM
tlark
Drifting

Rob, seeing how several of us are currently looking for tts. If you don't get this one let us know some other locational details so others like myself know what to expect going in. I'm certainly not looking at this one, but some cars have been mentioned by others that have already seen them which has helped. I can't believe how many folks have posted just in the last few months that are seriously looking. It say something about these cars I guess......I have to admit I'm abit suprised.

Given what you mentioned and the possible maint. issues facing this car in the future I would think a low 60's offer is reasonable given it may take$4-7k to bring it into top shape if thats what you want. It certainly sounds like its been driven!!
Good luck.

Signed,

"In a tt looking coma"
Old 05-07-2004, 08:48 PM
scott63
Intermediate

You should always do a compression and leakdown test. If your mechanic says the motor "sounds" good, then I would find another mechanic. If a car has bad compression, you won't be able to hear that... These tests are always included in a PPI (at least that has been my experience). If everything checks out, I don't think $65,000 is too far off from where it will sell. I looked for several months and couldn't find anything good below $70,000.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:05 PM
Corte Loco
Racer

Go to an autorized dealer and do a complete PPI and inspection. Ask the seller for receipts of works done before on the car to be sure itīs not a lemon. You are investing a lot of money to get the car you want so donīt go the wrong way!!! Pic the right car and donīt go with your bad instinct to get one of this favulous cars; there are a lot of bad cars for sale that looks almost perfect. Be careful on your search.

Good luck!!!

Quick Reply: Valuation help, pls, 96tt