Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

German Sports Car Dealer - 993 Turbo Scam?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2022 | 04:44 PM
ELPORSCHA
Racer

Default German Sports Car Dealer - 993 Turbo Scam?

I'll say, at the outset, that I've always admired German cars, all makes and kinds. Admiration, to the point of adoration of anything German. Yet the experience of the past couple of months, been most disappointing. Even shocking. And still can't believe it's possible, or happened. The "very short version" of the story, went like this:

Couple of months ago. Saw 993TT, on a European sports cars website. Car advertised as 30,000 KM, asking 220,000 Euro. Amazing look on the outside (paint/engine bay/wheels). Asked seller/dealer for interior images, sent me couple of pics, similar to those advertised, plus couple more. All somewhat blurred. Or low definition photos. So, the car looks great on outside, yet not so much on inside, due to bad quality of interior images (seats, leather, carpet, foot pedals, dash).

Was so impressed by the look (on the outside), the low mileage!, the 2 owner thing, the 2nd in Italy - described as collector, who drove it for 200 KM since he purchased from German owner 15 years ago.

I'll just point the main issues, since there are so many details:

1. Dealer's ad on that famous website, stated ALL books, manuals, service book, logs, keys, etc. Original.
2. Turned out there was no service book. Only replacement book. With one entry. One stamp. No bills, no details, nothing. Asked where is original book. Said, lost. Why say original? No answer, only that is what is!
3. I asked 3 official Porsche centers in Germany for help, finding the car's history. All said, none can be found. Only have Porsche factory production specs sheet. Any owners, names - None. All systems, show Nothing. No entries!
4. Tried checking Carfax. Nothing. European VIN checks - Nothing.
5. Shown interior + undercarriage images to one Porsche classic cars expert. His opinion: doubt this is 30K KM unit. Driver and passenger seats look so worn out, as if someone was sleeping in it. Which can't be. Only extremely high miles car can have such look on seats, same with the undercarriage. Added: this might have 200K miles! At the very least 150K miles. Was either leased, wrecked, or totally uncared for, "in terms of the condition of the interior".
6. You can polish and wax any car, and play with look of engine/cosmetics, and make the unit look so good and amazing, but you cannot do much with the interior. Leather seats, carpets, etc, prohibitively expensive to order and buy from factory. That's why the best indicator of well cared for unit, is the interior.

Was very close to wiring payment to seller, when realized, something is not right or straight about the car.

He still maintains, all good, nothing wrong, can travel to Germany and check everything first hand!

The mother of all surprises came when did more research. Dealer has FB profile. Car been on offer (sale) since 2018. No takers!

Looks like didn't have any ads for the car, except the one I saw it in. Even his own dealership website, not advertised. Not there!

Because of the time, effort spent on correspondence, and preparation to buy and ship the car... only to be sadly disappointed, I'm so intrigued by how can a German dealer do this, that I'll do more research to get the bottom of this car's story. If found guilty, I'll have to report him to German authorities. If he outright lied to me, and the general public. I won't let it pass.

Be careful guys. No all glitter is gold !