Sponsored by:

G50/52 in 993 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2022, 01:02 PM
Freednuts
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default G50/52 in 993 turbo

I’ve got a g50/52 in my 993 turbo. I have the motor and gearbox in the car. I have the 2wd 993 tunnel brace bolted up. The carrera 2wd tunnel brace has two bars on each side of the nose cone transmission mount that would bolt up to the tunnel of a 2wd car. They look like they would brace the drivetrain from front to back movements. However because the car is a factory turbo these mounting points are not in my car. Has anyone done a g64/51 with a 2wd nose cone or a g50/52 in a 993 turbo? How did you brace for front to back movements?

I know the most common 2wd 993 turbo conversion everyone takes off the torque tube and uses the FD motorsports stiffer mount. I have rennline tunable engine mounts on the car with FD motorsports 2wd nose cone transmission mount. But my question is has anyone used the tunnel brace bars? Are they needed? What do they actually do?

thanks in advance
Old 09-22-2022, 07:15 PM
Rigor
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I have wondered the same, it might be related to safety, in case of a rear ended crash..?
Old 09-22-2022, 08:47 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Rigor
I have wondered the same, it might be related to safety, in case of a rear ended crash..?

this is exactly the reason behind the bars , rear impact , reasonably sure the TT also has provision for this possibly at a different location .

I have the FD 2WD mount myself , Bert
Old 09-22-2022, 11:19 PM
Freednuts
Intermediate

Hey Bert! Thanks for the information. From what I can see the torque tube would have blocked any crash bars from being mounted in the tunnel on an awd 993. I’ve taken the entire car apart literally, modded to the hill and almost completed a nut and bolt restoration and refresh of the entire car. Thanks again for your knowledge. Trying to get this thing on the road for palooza; with it making 600whp I wanted all the braces in place I can get! I’m ready to try out the 964 turbo long gearing!
Old 09-25-2022, 06:57 PM
Freednuts
Intermediate

Ok so the pictured part of the mount is bound up. Completely smashed on one side and not making contact on the other. Is the g50/52 not compatible with the 993 transmission mount? Will the 964 transmission mount solve this problem and bolt into the 993 tunnel?

thanks in advance

Last edited by Freednuts; 09-25-2022 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-25-2022, 07:55 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

After some thought re : TT mounting points , the torque tube itself serves as the anti front and aft movement device the C4S and TT don't have the round nose mount that the normal C2 has so torque forces can be a bit more difficult to manage when the tube has been removed..
The 964 mount is identical if I recall,so no advantage there . The portion of the mount in your photo is the'C2' torque dampener ,same on 993/964 .
Bert
Old 09-26-2022, 06:28 PM
Freednuts
Intermediate

Originally Posted by budge96
After some thought re : TT mounting points , the torque tube itself serves as the anti front and aft movement device the C4S and TT don't have the round nose mount that the normal C2 has so torque forces can be a bit more difficult to manage when the tube has been removed..
The 964 mount is identical if I recall,so no advantage there . The portion of the mount in your photo is the'C2' torque dampener ,same on 993/964 .
Bert
I have found a different part number for the 964 vs the 993. I'm finding its called a transmission carrier mount. The part I have installed and pictured is a 96437507004 from a 993 2WD. The carrier mount for a 964 is 96437507003. From what I can see in relation to photos online the 03 part number appears to have a longer shaft, thats what she said. lol. I ordered the 96437507003 it should be here in two days; I'll post of up a pic side by side when I have both in hand. That is the issue with it being bound up the shaft on the 04 part is too short. For anyone else reading this later; you cant buy the stock bushing from porsche, you have to buy the entire carrier mount. However I did find an after market transmission carrier mount bushing from powerflex if someone wants to save $225 and they have a bad bushing. Its part number PFR57-124 priced at $84.99.

I would be interested to know if anyone has installed the powerflex bushing in the transmission carrier mount on either a 993 or a 964 and if you noticed any difference in NVH's or performance. I currently have the FD 2WD mount installed and the rennline tunable semi engine mounts.
Old 10-03-2022, 08:11 PM
Freednuts
Intermediate

Default Oil lines for g50/52

The oil line bracket that attaches to the transmission is Mia on the g50/52 for the 993 setup. I made a bracket, see picture. If anyone wants to put the g50/52 in a 993 turbo. I went this route because of the gearing and it’s technically the strongest box ever made. Stronger than a g64/51 converted to 2WD. I had the axles cryo’d in case I wanted to get crazy with 1000hp Xona’s or something.

The following users liked this post:
Basal Skull (10-09-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 12:12 PM
Freednuts
Intermediate

Default As promised pic

Ok here’s the 993 2wd carrier mount next the the 964 carrier mount. 964 carrier mount is definitely has a longer shaft and looks like it will solve the binding problem.
Old 10-09-2022, 02:36 PM
C4Spolar
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Hello Freednuts.

I've done on my GT2 clone what you want to do. I use a 993 C2 nose end on my G64.51 tranny, cut the AWD shaft and install "TIG weld" the 2 tunnel tit bracket to secured the black bars, my understanding of those 2 black bars are to stop the lateral movement of the engine on hard braking and hard acceleration, anyway I did the conversion exactly like a factory 993 GT2 at that level. No noise and no vibrations, just crisp thigh shifts. Also updated the GNK diff with dual friction disk on each side. if you want more info and picture you can PM me.

Happy Porsche wrenching.

Last edited by C4Spolar; 10-16-2022 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-10-2022, 12:50 PM
JEllis
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Good info in here. I did a RWD conversion on my 993TT. Removed the tube and coupler and added a plug at the nose of the AWD tranny. I had planned on adding the 2WD nose but didn't want to cut the transmission.

I added the FD mount. The hard mount with my loud exhaust made the cabin excessively loud so I went with a poly bushing in the standard AWD mount. Unfortunately the poly mount does allow some for/aft movement which is almost as annoying as the noise.

I had always assumed the 2WD nose required the 2WD transmission mount and hardware and would bolt up to the standard unibody location.

In the end I am considering going back to the FD mount or going back to AWD.
Old 10-16-2022, 01:00 AM
Freednuts
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JEllis
Good info in here. I did a RWD conversion on my 993TT. Removed the tube and coupler and added a plug at the nose of the AWD tranny. I had planned on adding the 2WD nose but didn't want to cut the transmission.

I added the FD mount. The hard mount with my loud exhaust made the cabin excessively loud so I went with a poly bushing in the standard AWD mount. Unfortunately the poly mount does allow some for/aft movement which is almost as annoying as the noise.

I had always assumed the 2WD nose required the 2WD transmission mount and hardware and would bolt up to the standard unibody location.

In the end I am considering going back to the FD mount or going back to AWD.
To be honest when I talked to Darin at FD motorsports I wasn’t impressed. The 993 2wd conversion isn’t all that and a bag of potato chips. You’re observations are exactly why the FD awd 993 mount is sitting in a box and my 6spd is crated. From a basic physics perspective the gear box shouldn’t be supported on one side only. That mount is for use with the AWD torque tube and front diff. When you remove torque tube etc the entire drivetrain isn’t supported in the correct place ie carrera 2wd or gt2. A proper 2wd conversion should be converting the g64/51 to a 2wd nose cone. I expressed concern about making 600 whp with what FD sent as the 2wd kit. My concern was met with ohh the awd mount is really stiff so it’s fine. When you read the reviews everyone says is noisy. When I asked what it took to remove the vicious coupler he couldn’t remember because he couldn’t recall when a customer did the 2wd conversion right. CMS answered my questions and said cut the shaft and bolt the 2wd nose cone up. However that’s a $1k cone plus $500 for the Porsche nose cone mount, plus $7k to rebuild plus $10k for a proper gear stack. Seemed like a lot of cash when I wasn’t sure about gear ratios.

it sounds like you’re not happy with all the noise and movement from torque tube and front diff removal. In talking with Todd at protomotive, who knows pretty much everything Porsche related. He said once you make good power on the 993 the torque tube breaks every time you launch hard. He said there is one small weld holding the shaft and no way to reenforce it. It was designed for 400 bhp. So the 2wd setup is really best plus no more torque steer, viscous coupler funny stuff when cornering.

let’s be honest the 993,996,997 manual turbos have too short of gearing and when you add power they get even shorter. 30,60,90,120,150,180 mph. The g50/52 is 42, 82,115,155,180ish mph. The gearing is just not right in a turbo. Way to short.

I post up my opinion of the g50/52 when it’s on the road in a few weeks. I’ll probably put the 6spd back in at some point when I decide how to set the gear stack. The G50/52 is a sought after gear box; I can easily sell it to a gt40 build etc.

Old 11-06-2022, 07:07 PM
C4Spolar
Racer

Originally Posted by Freednuts
To be honest when I talked to Darin at FD motorsports I wasn’t impressed. The 993 2wd conversion isn’t all that and a bag of potato chips. You’re observations are exactly why the FD awd 993 mount is sitting in a box and my 6spd is crated. From a basic physics perspective the gear box shouldn’t be supported on one side only. That mount is for use with the AWD torque tube and front diff. When you remove torque tube etc the entire drivetrain isn’t supported in the correct place ie carrera 2wd or gt2. A proper 2wd conversion should be converting the g64/51 to a 2wd nose cone. I expressed concern about making 600 whp with what FD sent as the 2wd kit. My concern was met with ohh the awd mount is really stiff so it’s fine. When you read the reviews everyone says is noisy. When I asked what it took to remove the vicious coupler he couldn’t remember because he couldn’t recall when a customer did the 2wd conversion right. CMS answered my questions and said cut the shaft and bolt the 2wd nose cone up. However that’s a $1k cone plus $500 for the Porsche nose cone mount, plus $7k to rebuild plus $10k for a proper gear stack. Seemed like a lot of cash when I wasn’t sure about gear ratios.

it sounds like you’re not happy with all the noise and movement from torque tube and front diff removal. In talking with Todd at protomotive, who knows pretty much everything Porsche related. He said once you make good power on the 993 the torque tube breaks every time you launch hard. He said there is one small weld holding the shaft and no way to reenforce it. It was designed for 400 bhp. So the 2wd setup is really best plus no more torque steer, viscous coupler funny stuff when cornering.

let’s be honest the 993,996,997 manual turbos have too short of gearing and when you add power they get even shorter. 30,60,90,120,150,180 mph. The g50/52 is 42, 82,115,155,180ish mph. The gearing is just not right in a turbo. Way to short.

I post up my opinion of the g50/52 when it’s on the road in a few weeks. I’ll probably put the 6spd back in at some point when I decide how to set the gear stack. The G50/52 is a sought after gear box; I can easily sell it to a gt40 build etc.
If you have a G50/52 use it on your conversion instead of your G64, The reason? The G64 AWD is center gravity fed oiling on the small shaft and the RWD G50 isn't, I had to send my RWD G50 nose cone machined to California Motorsport to fit the little black plastic tray that sits below the reverse idler gear and the round plastic oil feeder that sits behind a bearing like in the G64 turbo tranny, Does your G50/52 has the big ring and pinion like the turbo tranny?

Also the bearing for the small shaft that sit in the nose housing cost +$500. so be careful when you pull it out if you take that route.
The street GT2 and EVO had specific nose end cover part numbers and that's why, OILING of the small shaft modification.

Last edited by C4Spolar; 11-06-2022 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-19-2022, 12:30 PM
Freednuts
Intermediate

A G50/52 is a turbo transmission. It’s a 964 turbo box with longer gears than the g64/51, same overdrive ratio .76 or so vs .74. The highest horsepower fastest 993 turbo in the country is in Oklahoma area and is running carbon fiber body, built motor xona turbos and g50/52 box. The G50/52 box is the strongest box Porsche ever made.

No I didn’t touch the G50/52. It’s the strongest box no need to mess with perfection.

Originally Posted by C4Spolar
If you have a G50/52 use it on your conversion instead of your G64, The reason? The G64 AWD is center gravity fed oiling on the small shaft and the RWD G50 isn't, I had to send my RWD G50 nose cone machined to California Motorsport to fit the little black plastic tray that sits below the reverse idler gear and the round plastic oil feeder that sits behind a bearing like in the G64 turbo tranny, Does your G50/52 has the big ring and pinion like the turbo tranny?

Also the bearing for the small shaft that sit in the nose housing cost +$500. so be careful when you pull it out if you take that route.
The street GT2 and EVO had specific nose end cover part numbers and that's why, OILING of the small shaft modification.

Old 11-19-2022, 07:03 PM
C4Spolar
Racer

Originally Posted by Freednuts
A G50/52 is a turbo transmission. It’s a 964 turbo box with longer gears than the g64/51, same overdrive ratio .76 or so vs .74. The highest horsepower fastest 993 turbo in the country is in Oklahoma area and is running carbon fiber body, built motor xona turbos and g50/52 box. The G50/52 box is the strongest box Porsche ever made.

No I didn’t touch the G50/52. It’s the strongest box no need to mess with perfection.
Wow! I didn't know the fastest 993 turbo in the US ran with a 5 speeds tranny. Cool!

Quick Reply: G50/52 in 993 turbo