Sponsored by:

Turbo S - What's this all about the S?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 03:06 PM
JWKC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

quote from a post in http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...=&threadid=454
Porsche built 14 special customer ordered 993 Turbo cabs with the powerplant from the 964 Turbo 3.6. These 14 993T convertibles were run through as a "skunk works" project. This was done for the largest Porsche dealer in Germany. Now the interesting part was the new President of Porsche, Dr. Wendelin was supposedly kept in the dark about it. He knew nothing of the project. During this same time period, Porsche built 1 993 Turbo S during the 1996 run. This car carried a build date of Oct 1995 along with a run of cars for the US market. This car has a US serial # and was built using 993 GT2 engine/transmission/suspension components by the same "skunk works" group that built the 14 or so convertible TT's. People seen a handful of the 993 Cab 3.6 single turbo cars for sale and they are normally pretty reasonable because most have no idea what they are and assume they are Fauxs and converted. They are real as decoded from the serial numbers.Their final destinations are basically unknown. There are at least 2 in Germany and 2 in France. A collector in England may have the one or more that were purchased by the Sultan of Brunei who also purchased 12 959s which have never been driven and are still in storage in England.
there were 2 units for sell few months ago one in Hong kong and one in Germany,

http://www.autosalon-singen.de/Katal...&languageID=GB

RHD 993 turbo carbio for sale,I belive porsche HK removed the picture already
http://www.porsche.com.hk/en/approve...id=9109&typ=GW
Old 05-06-2004, 05:04 PM
OnlyAirCooling
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never seen a 993 Turbo Cabrio in my life...

In any case, it seems too strange to me, the number of 2884 993 C4...

It's a very common Porsche at least here, in Italy, where the C4S and (specially) C2S are very uncommon...

In any case, coming back to the first question of this thread, IMO I'd bless every $ spent for a 993 TTS, if only I'd find a perfect one...

The 993 TurboS represent the state of the art of all the Porsche production, the last evolution of the basic Porsche idea, the aircooled flat-six.
After some 38 years they produced the best and most perfect 911, a special edition of a special car.

Few pieces, for few guys.

I don't care if it is capable of 450 HP instead of 408, 430 or 500.

If it is the power that you're looking for, keep it in mind that it's a 3600 TwinTurbo, large intercooler and made by Porsche.
There are no real limits to the power that you can obtain from a 993 TwinTurbo, S or not, specially if you don't care too much about the engine life...

Just an opinion, anyway.

regards
Romano
Old 05-06-2004, 06:00 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Well the motor in that pic is a single turbo motor
so that matches what is in the story about the
964 motor bieng in the 993turbo cab

Quick Reply: Turbo S - What's this all about the S?!