Sponsored by:

993 Turbo - First time Buyer

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 04:48 PM
kachapah
AutoX

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 993 Turbo - First time Buyer

First post here after being a lurker for a long time. I'm currently looking to make a leap into forced induction with a 993 turbo. In general, I know to look for leaks, rust, etc and all the other normal porsche things. But with the 993 turbos in particular, should there be specific things I need to keep my eyes peeled for? Thanks!

-Siddhartha

Old 05-03-2022, 09:18 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

Alarm systems can be buggy
check straps/hinges on the doors tend to break
leaky valve guides and oil leaks in general
Old 05-03-2022, 09:21 PM
kachapah
AutoX

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default thanks

Really helpful, thanks!
Old 05-04-2022, 04:36 AM
Stewart
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Specific to the turbo:
  • Oil smoke on start up which quickly disappears could be due to oil syphoning back into the turbos - many have aftermarket oil check valves added to stop this happening (it's good if the owner has already fitted them)
  • Intercooler pipes can go spongy where they are clamped (especially if contaminated with oil - refer also above) which can cause them to pop off, under hard acceleration
  • OBC (on board computer) should show Boost hitting at least 0.6 or 0.7 bar (when the oil is up to normal operating temp) when you accelerate hard in 2nd or 3rd gear (you'll be going too fast on the public highway if you try it in 4th!)
  • Oil leak/weep from the cam covers is quite common (same for turbo and NA) - when the motor is properly hot you may see or smell a little smoke from the rear wheel arches - that's oil dripping onto the hot exhaust
  • Clutch pedal should be very light - it may be heavy/stiff if depressed when the motor hasn't been used for an extended period (days or weeks), but should immediately be very easy to push when the motor is running and once switched off again. If not, the pressure accumulator may have failed.
The following users liked this post:
weston98 (05-09-2022)

Quick Reply: 993 Turbo - First time Buyer