Sponsored by:

GIAC Mobile Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 02:39 PM
993tt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question GIAC Mobile Tuner

Anybody have experience or heared anything about GIAC Mobile Tuner?

http://www.giacusa.com/giac/mobiletuner.php

/Erik
Old 04-24-2004, 03:46 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Erik:

Its not available for the 993 TT's YET.

Its a modular unit that permits one to reflash the ECU with different programming. Its available for various VW/Audi apps at this moment.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:08 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: GIAC Mobile Tuner

Originally posted by 993tt
Anybody have experience or heared anything about GIAC Mobile Tuner?

http://www.giacusa.com/giac/mobiletuner.php

/Erik
In my humble opinion, the idea of a "mobile tuner" is the future of engine management systems, but I haven't seen the runs on the board for this particular product. Early days.

I should clarify that I have little respect for "chip tuning" in a "one size fits all" generic "reflash" approach and I'm _assuming_ GIAC is offering something to give the maps to the user and give the -- educated -- user the capacity to work on their own car.

If you do the research and read comments from people with this technology on their Audi, I'd be very interested to hear your observations.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:46 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Carrera GT:

I'd agree with you; the future of Engine Management upgrades will be done through a car's serial port.

I would also add that it seems just as unfair and inaccurate to lump all chip tuners and programmers into one category, anymore than stating that all people are the same,....

In certain instances, its somewhat dangerous to give total control of engine management parameters to every car's owner since that increases the possibility of engine damage from improper fuel.

I would conclude that in the genre of street-driven production cars (OBD-II compliant & mildly modified), one must factor the wide variations in the quality of pump gas from coast-to-coast. Engine management parameters will not change that much from car-to-car unless major internal changes are made. In such cases, such cars should be placed on the dyno and custom software written for those specific applications.

As you might know, this is NOT an inexpensive proposition and beyond the resources of most people just looking for some bolt-on modifications. IMHO, the vast majority of people do not wish to compromise the durability and longeveity of their motor and those folks will do very well with some pre-programmed solutions that accomodate the wide range of pump fuel quality.

BTW,...I see you are a Rennlist Site Sponsor; might I inquire who you are?
Old 04-29-2004, 01:26 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Carrera GT:

I'd agree with you; the future of Engine Management upgrades will be done through a car's serial port.

I would also add that it seems just as unfair and inaccurate to lump all chip tuners and programmers into one category, anymore than stating that all people are the same,....

In certain instances, its somewhat dangerous to give total control of engine management parameters to every car's owner since that increases the possibility of engine damage from improper fuel.

I would conclude that in the genre of street-driven production cars (OBD-II compliant & mildly modified), one must factor the wide variations in the quality of pump gas from coast-to-coast. Engine management parameters will not change that much from car-to-car unless major internal changes are made. In such cases, such cars should be placed on the dyno and custom software written for those specific applications.

As you might know, this is NOT an inexpensive proposition and beyond the resources of most people just looking for some bolt-on modifications. IMHO, the vast majority of people do not wish to compromise the durability and longeveity of their motor and those folks will do very well with some pre-programmed solutions that accomodate the wide range of pump fuel quality.
Agreed -- it's not for the amateur home DIY customer to be playing with fuel and timing etc.

From an owner perspective, I'm not impressed with the widely available products today. To keep the 993 Turbo "up to date" I think it's important to bring its engine management system forward a few decades.

I believe you resell GIAC (correct me) and that's what I have in my car today. But I'm exploring alternatives, especially in terms of fuel metering and boost control with multiple modes of operation.

I've BTDT with five systems (there's others yet to be test) and I'm on an AWD dyno every week refining a new technology. I think I've got the right people working on a great solution and I'm very pleased with the results on a few early cars.

"One size fits all" is becoming a common way to refer collectively the products that are re-flashed or a chip is plugged in or swapped out. Some of these solutions are horribly primitive.

BTW,...I see you are a Rennlist Site Sponsor; might I inquire who you are? [/B]
Me? I'm just a generous soul.

And that's enough thread-stealing from me for one day -- I'm still keen to hear of people using the GIAC products in this thread.

Cheers,
Old 04-29-2004, 01:56 PM
robroy72
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be nice to have something like the UTEC by http://www.turboxs.com/ (mainly for the WRX / STi / Evo crowd) for out cars.

It has the capability to store 5 different maps, which you can switch between from a map selector on the dash, and also a valet facillity.

Quick Reply: GIAC Mobile Tuner