Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front area thud in stop/go traffic

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004 | 02:29 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Default Front area thud in stop/go traffic

Do any of you have a mild "thud" when starting from a dead stop in stop/go traffic. It feels almost like an anti-roll bar is binding and releasing when the nose lifts. I haven't taken it in to check what it is, but wanted to see if anyone has had this before?

I checked the archives and found one person that had, but there was no resolution given.

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2004 | 02:52 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Sure it's nothing in your trunk? ie, jack or other stuff? Spare tire/battery secured?
Old 04-19-2004 | 03:28 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Jeff, I will check, but it sounds mechanical rather than something moving around. Feels like something binding, then releasing when enough torque is applied. Hope it's not the front diff or driveshafts!
Old 04-19-2004 | 06:55 PM
vrus
Racer

Check the coilovers and make sure the bolts are securely fastened to the car's shock tower under the hood.

I have heard that noise before when the spring that is mounted on the coilover isn't seated properly and moves around. Remove your front wheels and visually inspect the spring to make sure it is seated properly.

Just a thought...
Old 04-19-2004 | 10:19 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

That does sound like coil-over spring clunk, which you should not have in a 993. Does in tend to happen when you first get under way and turn a corner (such as leaving the driveway)?
Old 04-19-2004 | 10:38 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Could be that the spring washers were left out when the Ruf suspension was installed. This would cause the springs to bind and release.
Old 04-19-2004 | 11:41 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally posted by ZCAT3
That does sound like coil-over spring clunk, which you should not have in a 993. Does in tend to happen when you first get under way and turn a corner (such as leaving the driveway)?
It only happens when you pull away after coming to a stop, it is not related to turning. I can go lock to lock with no noise and go over driveways, etc. on an angle with no noise. It's only when starting out after coming to a complete stop.

I have it scheduled to go in next week so we'll see if something is loose or binding. I'll report back.

Quick Reply: Front area thud in stop/go traffic