Sponsored by:

DAS roll bar legal for PCA-GGR?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 10:08 PM
Doug Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DAS roll bar legal for PCA-GGR?

Is anybody using a DAS roll bar for time trial events with the Golden Gate Region of PCA? I'm getting confusing feedback on whether or not it is legal and would like to know if anyone else has gone through the qualification process with that bar.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:14 PM
cliang
Instructor

Check with Colin Dougherty the owner of DAS and CDOC. He had it approved for the Potomac region club race. He may have even talked with national officials to get it certified.
www.cdoc.com
Old 04-12-2004, 08:57 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts

It is legal for Time Trial events with Porsche Owners Club. If you are not afraid to modify the car, and considering some of the tracks PCA GGR runs, example Sears Point, Laguna Seca, if I had a TT, I would put in a roll cage. IMHO of course.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:25 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

It is legal for Time Trial events with Porsche Owners Club. If you are not afraid to modify the car, and considering some of the tracks PCA GGR runs, example Sears Point, Laguna Seca, if I had a TT, I would put in a roll cage. IMHO of course.

Martin
I believe the POC will not allow you to practice in the red or orange run groups if your car is not "caged", which relegates 993tt to the blue group (no offense to blue group drivers). The speed difference between the 993tt and most of the cars that belong in blue is substantial if not unsafe.
I believe that in years past the POC was far more enlightened then PCA as cars were put in run groups based on lap times rather than the class of car.
The rational was too great of speed difference creates problems for many amateur drivers. Looks like their back to what they tried to prevent.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:49 PM
Doug Driver
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the responses. I have talked to Colin and he is willing to talk to someone at PCA-GGR - the problem is finding someone at PCA-GGR who will make a decision on the issue. FWIW, GGR does classify cars by time and not strictly by class. A full cage would make me feel much more comfortable, but I worry about how it will butcher the dash. I haven't seen one in a 993 that doesn't go through the dash.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:08 AM
DTFASTBEAR
Instructor

It's legal for GGR even though it doesn't otherwise meet the "letter of the law" for the GGR rules. I've been running one for a couple years now in a Carrera cab. The tech chariman at the time, Ken Park, confirmed for me that the bar is ok.

You might also want to check with JPS on this forum - he runs one in a 993 cab.

Dean
Old 04-13-2004, 01:56 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I'm not familiar with PCA-GGR's rules but the DAS bar is supposed to be legal for PCA club racing. The ruling is advertised on DAS' site, and I plan on running it in D stock this year.

Quick Reply: DAS roll bar legal for PCA-GGR?