Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motec for 993TT (550hp+ project)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 06:44 AM
maajola
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Motec for 993TT (550hp+ project)

Hi!

Have you concidered Autronic SM2 system? I have have one ( and installed 6 systems) by my self on ny 800hp toyota supra and it works GREAT!!

It is like half the cost of a motec.

Best regards,
Kristian Maajola

Originally posted by Jean
I have searched the board with no success.

My objective is to build a 50% street/track 550 + hp engine with (very) occasional 600hp capability. As I am working on the budget for an immediate startup, I would really appreciate some insight on the following: other than stronger rod bolts, K24/26 turbos, camshafts, equal length headers, spearco I/C core, 5 bar FPR, I have some questions concerning the ECU choice;

Specifically,

1- how simple would a Motec be to install (keeping tuning aside), I know on CIS engines you need to change your manifold, distributor, injectors etc.. I guess on a Motronic system all of that would not be needed? Other than larger injectors and probably fuel rails, sensors?.

2- Should I expect substantial improvement over a Motronic, with the flexibility of mapping every 250 rpms I would assume better response throughout the powerband as well as peak Tq and hp over any set program. Another benefit would be the better fit and flexibility of mapping with the turbos and camshafts, especially being overseas and not being able to take my car to a tuner for a proper setup of a GIAC chip with the package.

3- Would a full head job i.e. extrudehone, bronze valve guides, stronger valve springs still be required or would the Motec compensate through better efficiency to reach such power levels at lower RPMs and without really needing the better flowing heads.

Any input, feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated on any of the above. Anyone experienced the K24/26 and spaghetti headers from FVD?

Sorry for the long post.

Jean
Old 04-14-2004, 03:17 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally posted by JJayB

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Thielert ecu which is a twin programable ecu that many of the race teams used, Roock for one.
Jim, thanks for your input.
The Thielert seems to have been discontinued. I understand that Andial stopped using it on their 570hp kit and are using a different management system now, and they seem to be very satisfied. I am expecting to hear from Fabian Roock tomorrow to see if they are still using it. BTW, your car is outstanding!

Maajola,
I had done some research previously on the Autronic, there are several others out there, DTA, Haltech, TecIII, Accel DFI, SDS etc.. however the problem is finding a tuner who knows how to calibrate them properly in this part of the world. Accel seems quite easy to tune and with good features, Stephen Kaspar has used it in the past and I think he liked its simplicity. There is a veteran MOTEC tuner a thousand miles from here that could provide help if things really go wrong for me.

I will need to find a complete package with the prebuilt harness and some tested maps for a 993TT from the US, since I am planning to send to the US parts of the engine for modifications, I will get all that I need at once from there.
Thanks.
Jean

Quick Reply: Motec for 993TT (550hp+ project)