Sponsored by:

Screech on first start

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 10:22 PM
Ruf-Dan-Ruf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I had a race car (http://drt.linuxnet.co.nz) do this. It turned out to be a worn spiggot bearing. This fits into the centre of the flywheel. This is a $0.50 cent part and should always be replaced when doing a clutch.

Maybe this wasn't replaced in error??

What happens is the whole clutch assembly can move and the metallic sound is the spinning clutch hitting the gearbox casing.

This isn't the main problem thought ..... what can follow if not fixed is. Mangled gears as the whole gearbox main shaft moves.

Ask your mechanic to list ALL the parts used ... If you don't see a spiggot bearing then I would be worried.

Daniel

P.S first post ... be gentle

1996 Factory RUF BTR2
Old 04-07-2004, 12:11 AM
hatchy
Racer

Ruf, did you car only make this sound on the first start or every start?

Looks like my car has a habit of doing it when the engine is cold, it usually doesn't do it on warm starts. Bring in gear/out of gear doesn't seem to make much of a difference.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:58 AM
Ruf-Dan-Ruf
Racer

It was random for us, sometimes did it sometime didn't. It was when we were on the dyno and saw sparks flying out of the gearbox housing bung (bung wasn't in) when we came off power. Hard to hear metalic sounds at 7500 RPM with mufflers on a straight three inch exhaust.

We only heard the metalic sound when starting sometimes. We like you theorised about flywheels and starter motors etc. It wasn't till we saw the sparks and oil coming from the munged gearbox main seal that we dropped the box and found the problem.

Worn spiggot means the main shaft for gearbox floats/bends when it shouldn't move at all.

As the spiggot wears out it would get worse and worse i.e happenning more often on starting.

These bearings are small say only an inch to 2 inches in diameter usually and you can't tell easily by looking if they are worn or not.

This is why the general rule is always replace it as its a 50 cent part.

Have heard many stories of destroyed gears due to these bearings not being replace and one story of the bearing being left out all together.

But hey, I'm only guessing this may be your problem. Replaced clutch, metalic sounds afterwards on starting .... same symptoms as we had.

Hope its not actually as you probably have damaged your gears if you have been driving your car and that would be bad.

Daniel.

1996 Factory RUF BTR2

Quick Reply: Screech on first start