Sponsored by:

Short Shift Gear Stick Options

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 06:03 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Mike,

The FVD/RS shift kit reuses your shift ****... is that your question?

Dr. Ken,

I feel like you haven't gotten the answer to your question, but I'm not sure your question is clearly stated. The AWD cars use a different shift assembly (hence a different short-shift kit) than the 2WD cars. Is that the answer to your question? The AWD kit is basically a replacement for the shift *lever* (the long arm that your **** screws to). The fulcrum point is in a different location... hence the "short" shift. The 2WD kits that I've seen are much more complex, and cost a good deal more money.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:52 AM
dr kenneth e garchow
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default short shift question. sorry if i was unclear.

think i need to talk this over a few more times w/ people in person before i understand. it feels like there is conflicting information to me.

the rs is a 2wd car, and the rs shifter fits 4wd cars and 2wd cars?

and/or the 2wd and 4wd shift kit is different?

you have to hammer your 4wd car to make it fit

and/or you dont have to hammer you 4 wd car, but change the bushings around?

thanks for helping and lets hear more
Old 03-05-2004, 08:50 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by AMG ETR
I am told you only have to flip the "fork" around and it should fit without a problem. If you need more info feel free to give us a call we can tell you how to install it exactly.
Evan,

I have installed several of these. It is very simple, and one part to change, the shifter handle. This shifter makes a shorter throw by lengthening the lower part from the pivot point of the shifter handle. This pivot point is at the bottom of an aluminum trolley that rides on the round tube for the front drive axle. The only way that you could change the dynamics would be to move this fixed pivot point. I do not see any way this can be changed. Could you explain flipping the shifter??

Darn physics laws, you just can't get around them...
Old 03-05-2004, 11:25 AM
mkhn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In speaking with FVD, for 993 C4/C4S/Turbo, you MUST create more space for the shifter assembly. This has been done by hammering out a dimple to accomodate the "lowered" or lengthened part of the lever below the pivot point. I remember there were pictures posted once before in an earlier post, if someone can repost those it might help to explain what it looks like.

For 2wd 993, its possible not to hammer out a space by reversing one of the bushings or some other part, but this does not apply to the AWD 993.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:25 AM
mjims
Instructor

Evan, FVD & ALL

I've emailed evan about ordering one of the FVD kits to try.

With regard to the install I will take notes + photos and post the results.

I will also advise on whether it is neccessary to take a hammer rder: to the middle cover.

Thank you all for all your input

Jim Swift
Old 03-05-2004, 12:39 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Mike,

I was the one that posted the pictures of dimpling the tunnel cover and the install.

Jim - Not only did it require a hammer (and you may want to buy some gloss black Wurth paint), but the lower boot had to be cut as it would not stay on with the rod sticking down further. Before I cut it, it would come off and get wedged between the rod and the tunnel causing the shifter to not move without force...
Old 03-05-2004, 01:12 PM
dr kenneth e garchow
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default now that is what i have been hearing the most often

so if we use the democratic process to answer the short shift question in 4wd cars, i would say the "hammer" wins. and it looks like the "cut boot" is its running mate.

any one put a short shift in a 4wd 993 car w/o using this combination?

i think the pano article stating otherwise was amiss.

thanks for your patience w/this matter.

Quick Reply: Short Shift Gear Stick Options