Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch/hydraulic/brake fluid problems!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 01:55 PM
993tt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch/hydraulic/brake fluid problems!?

Long story...

About two years ago I noticed a strange sound from rear right when cornering hard. Sounded just like the wheel bearing or a wheel rubbing aginst the fender. I took it to the shop for normal service and also asked them to check this sound out. It turned out to be the stabilizer that had come loose and somehow made this noice. Or at least that's what the mecanic told me and sure enough, the sound was gone... Now the sound have returned and of course I started with checking the stabilizer, solid as a rock. Hmmm... I did a couple of searches here on the forum and now I'm not so shure anymore.

In a couple of posts where people had strange noice, just like mine, it turned out to be the hydralic fluid that where low. I went to the garage and found out that it was indeed the case for me too. On a side note, I noticed this fall, before putting the car in my garage that after I've been driving hard the power steering made more noice that usual. I guess the low oil would explain that. Anyway, back to the strange sound. Could it be that this noice came from low oil level instead of the stabilizer? I guess the mechanic filled up the reservoair as part of the normal service and that is the explaination why the sound dissapeared.

So why am I ranting on about this then!? Well, I have more mysteries to solve and I'm not sure if they are related or not...

Today I checked the little hydralic reservoair in front and found it completely full, up to the cap. I noticed a thin oil film outside the reservoair but no apperant drops or spills underneath it. Does this mean that my slave cylinder is gone like some posts here suggest? And where did all the fluid go anyway!? If I'm correct in my assumptions that the strance sound was because of low hydralic oil then almost one full tank must have dissapeared during the last two years. Something I guess I should have noticed... Now when I mention it, I remember something other strange. About two years ago when taking my car out for the first ride at spring, I noticed a thin oil film inside the lower part of the trunk. The strange thing was that it all was in the lower part, nowhere near the brakefluid or hydralic reservoair and no traces of oil film or spill could be found higher than where the spare tire is located. I never solved that mystery and the trunk stayed dry since then.

Next mystery
Last summer when driving on track days I often found that after a 10-15 laps the warning light for worn pads came on. I checked the pads everytime and I had atleast 7 mm left. Last week I talked to a mechanic about this and he said that if you have to little brake fluid the same light could come on. Today I checked the level and to my surprise it was way over max level. I could even find some fluid on top of the reservoair in the little "over spill" area. What's this?

So, what I now would like to know is - Is these things related at all or/and how/where do I start searching fo a solution. Is there anyone out there that recognise these problems and can give me some suggestions what to do!?

Peace!
/Erik

(sorry about any grammatics fault or miss spellings)
Old 02-22-2004, 04:14 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The front oil reservior is for the backup clutch system, the power clutch runs off the same system as the power steering(right rear). I got a growling noise in turns from mine when it was low. I'd guess someone spilled something in the trunk and it found the lowest spot. The brake wear sensors are heat sensitive and will melt sometimes at the track, lighting the warning before the pads are worn out. Amazingly, they sometimes "heal" when they cool off! Hot brakes can also result in higher fluid in the reservior and overflow, although it may have been overfilled by the guy who serviced it. That's why I prefer to do my own work, when I can.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:49 PM
993tt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 911/Q45
The front oil reservior is for the backup clutch system, the power clutch runs off the same system as the power steering(right rear). I got a growling noise in turns from mine when it was low. I'd guess someone spilled something in the trunk and it found the lowest spot. The brake wear sensors are heat sensitive and will melt sometimes at the track, lighting the warning before the pads are worn out. Amazingly, they sometimes "heal" when they cool off! Hot brakes can also result in higher fluid in the reservior and overflow, although it may have been overfilled by the guy who serviced it. That's why I prefer to do my own work, when I can.
Thanks for the tips.

I'm going to fill the reservoair up and try to find any leekage. It's a little difficult though since it looks like most everything in that part of engine bay is quite dirty (oil) Maybe/probably? pentosin... It' even all over the reservoair... I wonder where it could come out?

I talked to a mechanic today and he said that since I haven't driven my car for four months (winter here ) that could explain why the brake fluid was so high. Was something about a pressure tank? that normally was filled but gradually pushed back the fluid into the reservoair if the car was not driven. Don't really know what he was talking about but it sounded good when he said it.

/E

Quick Reply: Clutch/hydraulic/brake fluid problems!?