UK tt owners - alarm questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 03:10 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default UK tt owners - alarm questions

I'm looking to buy a left hand drive 993tt from the continent and register it in the UK. Most, if not all, continental cars have the factory alarm and immobiliser. But most UK insurers want a Thatcham Cat 1 approved system. So my questions are as follows:

Is the factory system Thatcham approved? I think it's not but would like confirmation or a way of certifiying that it is approved.

Assuming I have to fit a Cat 1 system, what systems have people had success with?

Can the factory system be disabled so that I don't have two remotes and/or two systems simultanesouly operational?

Thanks,

Felix
Old 01-28-2004, 05:30 AM
DeanoLondon
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a late '96 993TT which has the factory PA1000 alarm/immob system fitted and this is definately Thatcham Cat 1 approved. I have the original certificate and I've had to show this to my insurer when I took out the policy on the car. Hopefully you should be fine - good luck.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:58 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

I am pretty sure mainland Europe 993tts came with an alternative alarm/immobiliser to the PA1000 (which is what I have on my UK car) - I know when a German tuner attempted to take the "plip" alarm/immobiliser/central locking system off the separate PA1000 fob and put it directly onto a funky shaped key with buttons on it (he showed me one and said that is how the German ones came) he said their electronics guy couldn't do it 'cos the two systems were not compatible.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:17 AM
ACEparts_com
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might want to consider having a tracker fitted instead. I have an RAC trackstar that also acts as an immobiliser. Have a word with your insurer. If you're looking for a good quote, try Assett trust (james Ewen) on 01285 841555.
I pay £750 for my TT (5K miles pa) and i'm 29. They don't require you use your no claims with them either so you can insure another car using your NCD!
Alan
Old 01-28-2004, 07:35 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

What does the key fob for the PA1000 look like? The LHD cars I've seen just have the switchblade key with a one button remote. My understanding is that the PA1000 was added to UK cars by Porsche GB through a contract with Hamilton Palmer (see Hamilton-Palmer). It's not clear to me what factory alarm, if any, was fitted to the GB cars at the time of build. I spoke to Hamilton Palmer yesterday and the PA 1000 is now obsolete and they would suggest installing a full Cat 1 system which would leave me with two remotes to use!

I assume your certificate shows the chassis number? Is it from Porsche GB or Hamilton-Palmer?
Old 01-28-2004, 09:55 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally posted by phelix
What does the key fob for the PA1000 look like? The LHD cars I've seen just have the switchblade key with a one button remote. My understanding is that the PA1000 was added to UK cars by Porsche GB through a contract with Hamilton Palmer (see Hamilton-Palmer). It's not clear to me what factory alarm, if any, was fitted to the GB cars at the time of build. I spoke to Hamilton Palmer yesterday and the PA 1000 is now obsolete and they would suggest installing a full Cat 1 system which would leave me with two remotes to use!

I assume your certificate shows the chassis number? Is it from Porsche GB or Hamilton-Palmer?
Yeah, the funky switchblade is what I tried to get retrofitted (couldn't be done with PA1000) On RHD UK cars you get the old fashioned key with the light button (and the silver Porsche crest which always falls off) and the alarm/immobiliser/central lock functions on an on/off switch on a Porsche PA1000 fob - If you save money by buying LHD from Central Europe, you gets 2 lots of buttons on 2 fobs
Just to clarify the UK situation further, the standard alarm was central locking and alarm activated/deactivated by the key and a separate small key to put in the dash within~15secs to deactivate the immobiliser, later OPCs would take about £700 off you to do away with the little key and include the immobilser off function and a PA1000alarm (which presumably was an upgrade on the stock Porsche system into the fob switch.) The part# for the PA1000 was 999.999.710.00 One of my mates (who is a cheapskate) paid about £400 for an aftermarket system and was left with a fob and STILL had to put the little immobiliser key in the dash - he thought he was clever saving the cash but we laugh about it now
Old 01-30-2004, 10:03 AM
la993 uk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phelix,

My German 993 came with the Porsche Drive Block system
This is not a Thatcham Cat 1 system.
I was the second UK owner and it came with a second key fob for a cat 1 alarm. This is a P.I.T.A from both an operating, and a carrying around in the pocket point of view.

For a definitve list of CAT 1 alarms look at
http://www.abacuscaralarms.co.uk/oth...s/thatcham.htm
and download the Pdf format list

Luke
Black 993 - gone
SY Boxster S - now
GT3 - Hopefully!!!
Old 01-30-2004, 11:11 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Thanks for all responses. I've checked with Asset Trust and they can't quote for a 97 car, only a 96. And that came out at just over £1000 for 5000 miles/year and doesn't require a Cat 1 System. Performance Marques and Porsche Insurance Services had the best unlimited mileage quotes at around £1100/year but do require a Cat 1 system. That's with a full no claim bonus but mirrored as opposed to applied.

Quick Reply: UK tt owners - alarm questions