Sponsored by:

KKK 24 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 08:22 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

JUN!!??

Then I'm sorry to say m8, you're in deep deep trouble.
I wouldn't even try to tune a 993 to compete.
The JUN Skyline is above 1000hp.

Their homepage is:
JUN

The company is worldfamous for their tuning ability.

However if you necessary need a porsche to match, be prepared to take out the engine and ship it somewhere where you can get it tuned to matching performance. And don't expect a lifetime above 36h on an engine like that.

If you search, I've posted a link to a 950hp 3.3L 911 engine. But that is a very very expensive option.

Just as someone else mentioned, get a Radical or a Caterham if you wanna beat them.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:55 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Corte Loco,

Shear power is not the only true answer. In a recent shoot-out, the Porsche with the highest dynoed HP comes in the lower ranks in 1/4 mile and track lap times. To compete with guys like JUN, you'll need the full package: HP, torque, gearing, chasis, brakes, wheels, tires, durability and driving skills. The entire package needs to be optimal to win the track battle.

Think RUF Nardo package if you insist on a Porsche based car.

Good luck.

CP
Old 04-06-2004, 01:03 AM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by CP
....you'll need the full package: HP, torque, gearing, chasis, brakes, wheels, tires, durability and driving skills. The entire package needs to be optimal to win the track battle.

Think RUF Nardo package if you insist on a Porsche based car.

Good luck.

CP
Cp,
Please elaborate on the Nardo Package.??
I'm not familiar

also about Jun... they do make awesome track cars.
but it still don't add up to a porsche
Old 04-06-2004, 02:04 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally posted by superyellowfly
Cp,
Please elaborate on the Nardo Package.??
I'm not familiar

also about Jun... they do make awesome track cars.
but it still don't add up to a porsche
Hi,

The RUF 996 R turbo comes in at 550 hp. Their new Nardo package is at 590 HP, plus other goodies (Titanium inerds, upgraded ECU etc.).

No doubt, on a total package basis: power, torque, comfort, ergonomics, durability, balance of components, road feel, confidence, mystique, self-gratification and panache, a Porsche (much less a RUF) is way ahead of the Japanese-tuned track cars. However, this thread is about competition with the JUN-tuned Evos on a track, which is a much more narrow focus, then ordinary Porsches, and even regular RUFs, may not suffice. That's why I mentioned the R-turbo Nardo package.

If I need to pick a sports car, and most cars spend 95% of the time on the road, I'd pick a Porsche for the factors mentioned above. But if track supremacy is the only goal, then the Evos, Radicals, Caterhams, Elises, or specially-tuned Evos, Skylines etc. could be the ticket.

I must admit that I'm not a track guy, so my views are more as a spectator/car enthusiast/student than from experience. I have no ego in this matter and will gladly stand corrected and learn from people who truely know what's going on.

CP
Old 04-06-2004, 02:49 AM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

CP,
Thanks for the clarification...
no wonder the guys at ruf keep telling me they got more stuff for my car ...talk about slippery slope

whilst not being the most experienced trackie, i think the radical has been the best bet thus far.
nothing short of a formula car will come close to it... plus its cheap relative to modding a993tt.

i know some on this board have had seat time with the radical...
Anycare to chime in?
Old 04-06-2004, 03:56 AM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

i know some on this board have had seat time with the radical...
Anycare to chime in?
SG450 at Sepang with BSA's radical 10 laps..I am sure u know already...
Old 04-06-2004, 07:25 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

I hate to appear anti Ruf ( I have been to Paffenhausen many times and have bought plenty of gear from them over the years including a CTR) but for the track, they are simply not at the cutting edge. Ruf produce fast road cars. There are better options for the track, for example Manthey or RS Tuning. An RS engined 996tt recently set a new record in Germany. From an article in Sport Auto:

Das Ding ist die absolute Granate." Der Teamchef fuhr zwar
nur eine Runde im Training, mit Slicks auf feuchter Fahrbahn,
aber das reichte im völlig. Jürgen Alzen war hin und weg von
seinem neuen Schätzchen, dem gefährlich schwarzen, monströs
breiten, Furcht erregenden Eigenbau-Biturbo-Porsche 996. Zwar
war das Debüt beim fünften Lauf zur Langstreckenmeisterschaft
noch mit kleinen Hochs und Tiefs behaftet, doch immer wenn der
Turbofaucher seine Krallen zeigte, wurde den Fans und Gegnern
angst und bange. Die Chronologie einer Premiere: Pole Position
im Qualifying, dann verspätet der ersten Startgruppe aus der
Boxengasse hinterhergehechtet. Bruder und Profi Uwe Alzen
wetzte die Klinge: Nach einer Runde hatte er alle, außer den
Führenden, aufgeschnupft, nach zwei Runden führte er - mit 14
Sekunden Vorsprung.
Mit einem Rundenrekord von 8.25,495 Minuten verschreckte Alzen seine alten Freunde aus der DTM - die
werden ob dieser Darbietung ins Grübeln kommen. Denn die Vorstellung, gleich beim Start des 24h - Rennens
vom ehemaligen Kollegen verblasen zu werden, dürfte ihnen bestimmt nicht gefallen. Leider war der Spuk nach
sechs Runden wieder vorbei - weil die Fahrzeughöhe an der Vorderachse nicht stimmte, der Unterboden erst
aufsetzte und schliff, dann zu Bruch ging und den Kühler ramponierte. Trotzdem: Die Kostprobe war vom
Feinsten, obwohl die schwarze Bombe erst auf den allerletzten Drücker fertig wurde. In diesem Auto steckt
Renntechnik vom Feinsten: Der Biturbomotor von RS Tuning leistet je nach Kennfeld und Ladedruck zwischen
550 und 700 PS. "Trotzdem ist die Fahrbarkeit exzellent, und mit dem Benzinverbrauch sind wir auch im grünen
Bereich", so Alzen. Die Abtriebswerte des spektakulären Karosseriedesigns zauberten ein Lächeln in das
Gesicht des fahrenden Teamchefs: "Wie DP Motorsport das ohne Windkanaltests hinbekommt, ist mir zwar ein
Rätsel, aber es funktioniert - und zwar absolut perfekt."
Old 04-06-2004, 08:23 AM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by TB993tt
.....they are simply not at the cutting edge. Ruf produce fast road cars. There are better options for the track, for example Manthey or RS Tuning. An RS engined 996tt recently set a new record in Germany.......
tbb
Agreed,
but i think the general consensus is trying to steer Corte's 993tt away from being a hard-core competitve track car (economic practicality or lack of)

... just my .2

p.s there wouldn't be an english conversion for the text?
Old 04-06-2004, 08:31 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

tbb
Agreed,
but i think the general consensus is trying to steer Corte's 993tt away from being a hard-core competitve track car (economic practicality or lack of)

... just my .2

p.s there wouldn't be an english conversion for the text?
Re the translation, you will have to use a web one - it does not translate well to English at all, but you can get the gist.

My point about steering Corte towards the racers and not just the mighty Ruf, is that because they (the racers) have tested to, and know the limits of, these engines, in the harshest conditions, they are better placed (than Ruf) to provide a road engine. There was recently a thread where Alois Ruf was quoted discussing the limits of the conrods and about having to change them for the Nardo engine - The racers have been doing this for many years since they well know the weak points as they have this experience. Your point about "economic practicality or lack of" is well taken -but Ruf ain't exactly cheap
Old 04-07-2004, 02:42 PM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

tb993tt,
WRT the thread
Please elaborate on other mods that may be useful apart from rods.

Tips or tricks are always useful in the hunt for power.

Quick Reply: KKK 24 turbo