Cat bypass??

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 08:36 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

John
Sorry I was getting you mixed up with ca993twin who has a Gemballa ECU - but you have Gunthers bespoke programming. While your programming was being done did Gunther discuss what bolt ons would work best with what he was doing ?
Smoke up the a$$ is always nice I have been obsessively into 993tt tuning from 1996 and have been down many routes and driven many 500+hp cars which are more like 450hp My tone is more often than not sceptical but it is not meant to disrespect the enthusiasts on here, more to keep the tuners claims honest. One of the "problems" (generalisation here ) is that in the US (and increasingly in Europe) hp claims seem to be hyped and concentrated on maximum hp which (particularly on these motronic controlled turbo engines) tells you only a small part of how the engine "drives".
Old 01-20-2004, 11:16 AM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not a technical expert by any means, but I really wonder how much hp is gained with a muffler bypass. Unlike most on this board I have the GHL MBypass and like it alot. I was able to keep my porsche ovals and save about $100 over the Fabspeed. I like the fact that I saved about 60lb and I love the sound. I am not so sure how my neighbors feel. Mike W
Old 01-20-2004, 12:31 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

John,

This is a great time of year for a road trip to So. California. Come on out and we can try my bypasses on your car, and you can see for yourself. Plus, I'll treat you to a Beeritol.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:13 PM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long day at work, just getting around to responding to earlier posts, Steve I'll take that Beeritol now.

TB993tt, Gunther said that the more that I could free up the exhaust the better the results would be with his ECU tune, hence I added the Cargraphic two years ago and have been recently thinking about either the cat or muffler bypasses. I remember fondly my former 944 turbo with the off road package (no cat) and loved what it did for turbo spool up.

There's a lot that will go into this decision about keeping the status quo, doing some moderate mods, or going full bore in pursuit of a horsepower beast. Not least in terms of relevance will be whether we start a family soon (38 yo) in which case I might have to actually stop acting like a spoiled bachelor ignoring that he's in his second year of marriage. I bought the wife a Land Rover Disco, but that hasn't kept her from wanting a bigger kitchen, or more furniture, or a Mini Cooper. Does it ever stop, married guys? So, IF I decide to keep the 993TT for a longer horizon than I usually do my fun cars (about 4 years, but that was before I'd reached the pinnacle, where would I go next or would I just retire with a cigar in my mouth?), then I'll change to GT1 turbos, full catless exhaust (and put back the Cargraphic mufflers to make the sound palatable), PSS9's, and another ECU tune. I've recently researched and decided not to go the Ruf route. Although the Turbo R package is very impressive and their customer service seems to be second to none, you can get mighty big bang for buck without going the Ruf route. Like you and others, I would be looking for the best and most usable real horsepower gains (nice torque and power curves, etc.) with early boost. The driving that I do around here is point and squirt, with some rural curvy two lanes, virtually no sustained top end running.

Steve, oh how I wish I lived in California, not only would I have access to great resources like you and Viperbob, but I'd also have round-the-clock access to proper roads to explore with the TT, from mountain switchbacks to desert highways. No matter where you go on the East Coast, ole Smokey's never far from sight. Built-in V-1 was my very first mod.

Thanks for the time and attention folks!!

Quick Reply: Cat bypass??