Sponsored by:

WTB used viscous coupling

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 06:02 PM
tacker
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default WTB used viscous coupling

I'm working on 3 projects. one of them is retrofitting a 997.2 coupling in place of the viscous coupling. I'm looking for a scrap coupling that has a usable female spline. The side that connect to the pinion shaft. I have some calls out there but I thought I would check here. Get with me
thanks
Old 08-10-2018, 11:21 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

checking for you now.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:45 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

I have one used one I can send you. PM me your address!
Old 08-12-2018, 11:09 AM
tacker
Racer

Thanks for the VC. I plan on removing the spline and machining it to fitted into the 997.2 center diff. I'm also looking into a different front differential. Maybe a Quaife ATB Torsen type.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:22 AM
tacker
Racer

I need to make a housing. That's the easy part,rerouting the fuel lines will be a PITA

I got the viscous coupling from Friday and Saturday I cut it open to remove the spline. I turned down the spline and cut the shaft off the 997 EMC and pressed the spline into the housing then pressed in 4 dowel pins. Next i will weld the outer diameter of the spline to the housing. You can see the chamfer for the filler. Maintaining the concentric was a bit of a challenge but I got within .0005. I'll send it out to check the balance.Now this unit fits in the tunnel and I can design a front nose housing for the transmission.
Now I need to figure out the front diff. Currently I'm think a VW type 1 torsen diff and a Weddle RP with a custom housing. The ring is about 3/4" bigger in diameter but looks to have the room. I'll need to make a custom torque tube. Titanium most likely.
Thanks Chris for the VC
Old 08-21-2018, 01:53 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

looking forward to more updates!!
Old 08-21-2018, 09:22 PM
tacker
Racer

the next steps will be designing the transmission housing then machine. Do you think a torsen front diff would negatively effect the handling VS a open diff.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:47 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Hmm. 997.2 is a electronic center differential? There are may front wheel drive cars with Torsen front diffs but not sure there are many 4wd cars with Torsen front diffs, - don't know the reason for this. When driving our cars at the limit in stock form, we complained a little about the delayed pull midway through the corner, presumably due to the VC center diff. With the electronic center diff, that I assume with be minimized. Cornering at the limit with one front wheel off the ground with the open front diff, when the inside wheel hit the ground again, it gave a odd pull from the presumed spinning inside wheel under power. I believe with the Torsen, when a wheel is off the ground it behaves like a open differential. So this might be similar. Not sure how the center diff change would affect the second scenario. Also depends on multiple other factors with respect to how car is set up, sway bars, etc. I suspect at non arrest me speeds it would be fine. Fun to think about.
You've gone into (many) uncharted territories with your car , you'll have to let us know!
Old 08-23-2018, 11:25 PM
tacker
Racer

Lots of options controlling the EMC. I think Subaru uses this arrangement but I'm uncertain on the torque split front to back. I think it will be interesting figuring out a decent 60 ft with this setup. On the road I can use a steering angle sensor/ G sensor to help figure out a good torque split to the front. im not sure how to set it up but having the control and the feedback from the wheels is a big step. I can set it up similar to a 997.2. The Syvecs guys have done a good bit of tuning to the traction controls.

Quick Reply: WTB used viscous coupling